Gradebook

Picture of Nancy K Hoke
Hide Course Total in Gradebook

Greetings - We are in Moodle 1.9.9 and we wish to hide the Final Grade or the Course Total in the Gradebook.  When I click on the icon to hide course total the icon to hide the entire gradebook also closes.  I have set the settings to show grades except hidden but I am still not being successful. Am I missing a setting for making this option work for our institution.  Please see image for my settings. As always thank you so much for any help and guidance you can provide.

Please note I am not clicking on Hide icon in the top field - it is closing automatically when I click on the Hide icon in the Course Total line.

Hide Final Grade

Picture of Bob Puffer
Re: Hide Course Total in Gradebook
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

This is a bug.  I believe its been patched, fixed and regressed.  The fix is around line 56 in grade/edit/tree/action.php with this line:

$object->set_hidden(1, true);

If you set the second parameter to false it will not cascade the hides down to all the children.

Picture of Nancy K Hoke

Hi Bob - I do hope your fall term is going well. In starting our fall term I am introducing the gradebook to faculty and I see that closing the Course Total field still closes the entire gradebook. Faculty are being required by administration that students do not see the course total. When I was in the US this summer at a Moodle Moot I understood that this "bug" had been repaired. But when I go in and close the field - the whole gradebook closes. Any thoughts on when this will be repaired in 1.9 - if it will be repaired at all in 1.9. Thank you for your help. Nancy K. Hoke - Khalifa University
Picture of Bob Puffer

According to the official table of versions of Moodle and maintenance schedule everything but security fixes are no longer being fixed in the 1.9x branch.  I'd suggest you find someone who can make the edit I mention above to your system... its pretty straight forward.

Picture of Nancy K Hoke

Thank you Bob - I appreciate your help. 

Nancy K.

Picture of steve miley

I know this is more than a half year old.  We continue to battle with this ourselves at UC Santa Barbara.  I have tested moodle 2.x and it seems to work correctly.  Bob's suggestion is only a partial fix from what I've tested.  it prevents the cascade of setting all the items to be hidden, but the gradebook still isn't shown to the students.   What I've found, and tested on a test machine, is that the code in the user report tries to be smart, and says if the category is hidden, then don't show anything below.  Unfortunately, this behavior works the same if the course total is hidden, so it doesn't show ANYTHING, no grade items.

Commenting out the section of code

grade/report/user/lib.php  around line 212

if ($type == 'category' && $grade_object->is_hidden() && !$this->canviewhidden && (
$this->showhiddenitems == GRADE_REPORT_USER_HIDE_HIDDEN ||
($this->showhiddenitems == GRADE_REPORT_USER_HIDE_UNTIL && !$grade_object->is_hiddenuntil()))) {
return false;
}

Will fix this problem.  but there are side effects that I'm looking into now. 

Picture of Bob Puffer

In my 1.9x gradebook this repaired all of the problem -- how is it partial in yours?

Picture of steve miley

Bob - thanks for commenting, I would love to get a real fix.  

What i see that the fix you provided, is that hiding the eye on the gradebook at the top for the course, prevents the cascade of hiding all the items.

But the problem we have, is that if the course total (at the bottom) or the eye is hidden at the top for the course in the gradebook, the students will not see ANYTHING when they go into their gradebook view.  Unfortunately, this isn't apparent when you look at the user report for the instructor.  you have to do a loginas one of the students and then see what they see.  an empty gradebook.

i tried this in the latest moodle 1.9.17 and that bug was still there.  though in moodle 2.2.2 its fixed.

Have you tried doing the loginas for a student to see what they see?

Picture of Bob Puffer

Ahhhh... we have a difference of how we achieve the hiding.  If you hide from the Categories and items all will indeed be hidden.  If you hide from the grader report, the student will see all the grades except the course total.  You can turn on the "eye" icons under preferences.

Picture of Andrea Johnson

I tried this  (as am setting up for students to see grades for the first time)  and it doesnt work for me.  I find that if I hide the course total in the grader report - it still hides the whole gradebook from the student.

Hope to be using 2.2  by the end of the year. 

Picture of Sobith Thooprath

Hi Andrea,

I guess that you are clicking on the Hide icon in the top field which hides the entire gradebook. Please click on the Hide icon in the Course Total line.

Cheers,

Sobith

Picture of Nancy K Hoke

Yes - in 1.9 when you try to hide just the course total the entire gradebook closes.  In several postings from Moodle.org this is fixed in Moodle 2. I have been testing Moodle 2.3 for our upgrade and it appears to be fixed.  smile But only in Moodle 2.  sad

Picture of Bob Puffer

You tried the hack mentioned ealier in the thread and it didn't work?