Backing up Quiz questions and categories

Backing up Quiz questions and categories

by Dan Beach -
Number of replies: 3
In both Moodle 1.3.1 and my freshly installed 1.4.3, I've never been able to back up Quiz questions and categories, which makes transferring courses from term to term difficult for me users.

I'm using the Backup link (not in the admin piece, but as the instructor of a course) and I choose to back up all the modules with user data, all of the course users, etc.  When it calculates what it's about to back up, it correctly identifies the number of quizzes, but Questions and Categories are always 0.  The backup and restore functions seem to work otherwise and no errors are ever generated.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dan Beach
St. Olaf College
Northfield, MN
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Beach

Re: Backing up Quiz questions and categories

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi,

after some tests (thanks to Dan for his excellent support!), this problem seems to be related to some type of error (or limitation) with old versions of PostgreSQL (and how if casts literal strings by default).

This oddity seems to be solved in PostgreSQL 7.4 and above. So, if you are having this type of problems, you know what to do). wink

Anyway, feedback will be appreciated to confirm that everything works fine with PostgreSQL 7.4

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Dan Beach -
Thanks to Eloy for his incredible assistance, we seem to have the problem almost fixed.  I say "almost" only because I need to upgrade the version of Moodle on Monday to finish the fix.

Here's what I discovered:

We were running PostgreSQL 7.3.4 and couldn't back up quiz categories or questions in Moodle 1.3.1 or 1.4.3+.  As Eloy mentioned above, it appears to be a problem with casts in postgreSQL.

We upgraded PostgreSQL to 7.4.5, but the problem persisted in Moodle 1.3.1.  However, the problem disappeared in 1.4.3+ so my next step is a Moodle upgrade (once classes are completed this weekend).

Final analysis: it's a combination of postgreSQL version (primary) and Moodle version (secondary).

Thanks again to Eloy for all of his help.

Dan

In reply to Dan Beach

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Dan,

once more, you are right! One minor (but important!) change was done between 1.3.1 and 1.4.3 to be able to backup quizzes under PostgreSQL.

Thanks again!

Ciao smile