Improvement attempts on quizes

Improvement attempts on quizes

by Henrik Kaipe -
Number of replies: 10

How about adding the option "Unlimited improvement attempts" to the "Attempts allowed:" drop-down at the "Editing a quiz"-page?

With this I mean that the students' responses from their previous attempt will be filled in as default. Correct answers could perhaps be locked.

The existing option "Unlimited attempts" has a simular impact but does not save the students from redoing already answered questions. In case of numerical problem questions that involve heavy calculations, where answers can depend on previous answers, this could save the students from the task of retyping their already determined answers. That way it would also be more natural for students to have early question results verified before they use these possibly corrupted results for solving latter problem questions.

Anyway, we want this functionality for a statistics course this fall and, unless someone suggests a better solution, I will dig into the code pretty soon.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Henrik Kaipe

Re: Improvement attempts on quizes

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Sounds pretty good to me, though I would suggest making it independent of "number of attempts" and implementing it as a separate quiz option (eg "Reuse previous answers" or "Each attempt builds on the last" or something better phrased than these. Default value "no".)

BTW, I looked at your other code (Numerical question) and it looks good (thanks for providing diffs AND full files!) - I'll integrate it into CVS in the next couple of days.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Henrik Kaipe -

Thanks in advance for integrating Numerical.

-----

Making it a separate quiz option sounds good. I'll take a look at it.

In reply to Henrik Kaipe

by Gustav W Delius -
Dear Henrik

In case you have several courses that are mathematically oriented it may make sense for you to use AiM for the quizzes (http://aimmath.sourceforge.net). It does have the feature you want. The Moodle-AiM interface is currently under development and will be ready before the end of August.

AiM is a system for computer-aided learning and assessment in mathematics. It is built on top of the symbolic mathematics program Maple, and thus has a rich understanding of mathematics built in. This allows it to randomize questions in complex ways, detect correct answers given in unusual forms, trap common errors and give intelligently tailored feedback and so on.

Gustav
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Henrik Kaipe -

Hi Gustav and thanks for your concern

We have statistics courses for medical scientists that are not that much interested in the mathematics behind. The courses are how-to oriented and do only scratch the surface of the theory. The use of statistical software for analyzing large amounts of data is of key importance.

In your discussion topic "Mathematics Assessment with AIM" you made two points:

1. The ability to evaluate algebraic expressions seems to be a great thing but it does not really suit the nature of our exercises. We will stick to numerical answers, as supported by my recent contribution.

2. I am looking for a way to enforce something simular to AiM's random parameters. However, in our case it is not a matter of a few random parameters. Instead each student will get individual data sets on file, where each file have some hundreds of measurement data per exercise.

Because of 1 and 2 I did not get the impression that AiM would fulfill our needs. Please tell me if you think I am wrong!
In case I am wrong there is still a problem with the release date of Moodle-AiM. I need to have our system in production on the 15th of August. Would it be possible for me to give a hand? I would gladly examine a draft if there is one.

In reply to Henrik Kaipe

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -

In the same vein, you might perhaps take a look at WeBWorK, which is similar to AiM, except that WeBWorK is Perl based, whereas AiM is Maple based.  The current advantage of WeBWorK is that we do have a working interface with Moodle.  See the latest announcement here: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1734

You can also take a look at a calculus class which I taught this spring using (an earlier version of) this interface: https://webwork.math.ohio-state.edu/moodle/course/view.php?id=3. You can log in as a guest or with username and password "moodler" (without quotes).

In reply to Henrik Kaipe

by Gustav W Delius -
If I understand you correctly then your feature will allow the student to do a part of the quiz and mark it, then go home and come back another time to continue working on the remaining questions. Is that correct? For us that feature is absolutely crucial. So I would like to encourage you to go ahead.

Please keep us updated on your experiences when you dig into the code to implement this new feature, it will be useful in our project of integrating AiM with Moodle.

by Henrik Kaipe -

To be more precise:

The student can do a part of the quiz, mark it (grade it), then go home and come back another time to continue. When the student continues/reattempts, her/his answers from the last attempt will already be there. Therewith, the student will not have to redetermine the previous answers, in case they are correct, and there will also be a chance to change previous answers, in case they are wrong.
As you can see, unless every student gets an individual quiz, this feature is not recommended for exam quizes but would be very suitable for study exercises.

---
It will probably take like two weeks before I start implementing this feature. Right now I am trying to implement multi-answer questions.

by Henrik Kaipe -

This feature is now implemented as the quiz option eachattemptbuildsonthelast. We are only waiting for someone to come up with a good name for it. Change it to Yes and try it out!

In reply to Henrik Kaipe

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Henrik, 
I would be very greateful if you would tell me where this "eachattemptbuildsonthelast" feature is implemented? Is it already implemented in moodle 1.09? Or is it in the source code stored at source forge?
Thank you for your time,
Tim