Where is the Item Analysis in 2.0 ?

Where is the Item Analysis in 2.0 ?

napisao/la William Beazley -
Broj odgovora: 23

I am using 2.02 and I can't find Item Analysis.

What is the menu path to this report?

I can't find it.

Odgovor na William Beazley

Re: Where is the Item Analysis in 2.0 ?

napisao/la Ray Lawrence -

Hi,

In the Navigation block, find the quiz and then Results > Statistics. It's called Quiz structure analysis.

Odgovor na Ray Lawrence

Here is what I see: <attached file>

I have a manager's role but can't see in any role.

Privitak 5-5-2011 12-40-37 AM.png

napisao/la Tim Hunt -
Slika Core developers Slika Documentation writers Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Peer reviewers Slika Plugin developers

Where is the Navigation block?

Odgovor na Tim Hunt

Oh, I did not look there.  OK, found it but it seems non-intuitive to have this separate from Quiz administration.

Reports for some quizzes are crashing.  Others cannot export to .XLS or .ODS files.

Thanks

Bill

napisao/la Tim Hunt -
Slika Core developers Slika Documentation writers Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Peer reviewers Slika Plugin developers

Well, if you look at the course level, you will see that reports are in the navigation, not settings. I chose to keep it consistent. I agree it is confusing.

Turn on Debugging to see why the reports are failing. I would guess you are running out of memory.

Odgovor na Ray Lawrence

napisao/la Melissa Benson -

Are we able to see each question's analysis listing every single answer that the student answered for that question? When I view that individual question I see a list of right answers but I don't see the wrong ones? For example, a short answer I see teh "model response" and there are 22 Count, yet 35 attempts were made on that question. I don't see the wrong answers for that question.

Odgovor na Melissa Benson

napisao/la Tim Hunt -

Ah. That is a bug. I am surprised that no-one has noticed this before.

It only shows the student resources that match one of the teacher-supplied answers.

I guess the reason we did not notice that because a lot of people add an answer * that matches anything to give some feedback to people who are completely wrong.

Please could you report this in the Tracker.

Odgovor na Tim Hunt

napisao/la Joseph Rézeau -
Slika Core developers Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Plugin developers Slika Testers Slika Translators

Hi Melissa and Tim,

It's not all that surprising that no-one has noticed this missing feature before.

Most teachers are only interested in the score results of a quiz.

Few teachers are interested in the "raw" results, which include the actual (i.e. wrong) responses from the students. However, including those wrong responses in the quiz statistics is quite useful for those teachers who want to understand why the students provided such responses. It may be quite simply because the question was not clear enough, or it may reveal some problems with the teaching or the learning processes.

Of course the "Incorrect responses" are available in each individual student's "Response history". But, since that data is readily available, why not include it in the detailed statistics for each question, in the Actual response column, to the right of the so-called Model response column.

In Moodle 2.1, the quiz report displays a number of Statistics such as Facility index, Standard deviation, Random guess score, Intended weight, etc. I'm afraid these figures have little meaning for me* (I expect they are quite useful to other moodlers), whereas I would like to see the actual students' answers, correct and incorrect, as explained above.

If Melissa has not yet posted a bug report for this feature I will do it shortly.

Joseph

* One more opportunity to quote my favorite one about stats:

Statistics are like bikinis.  What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.  Aaron Levenstein

Odgovor na Joseph Rézeau

napisao/la Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Melissa, Tim and Joseph,

I too missed this completely začuđen.

But it's because I usually look at the responses report to see students wrong answers smijeh od uha do uha. I find it give a more synthetic view of all responses.

I, for sure, am very interested in all students responses including wrong ones.

And it may be a surprise for a math and statistics teacher but it did happend that after looking at wrong responses I had not foreseen ,I decide one of them is after all an acceptable one (Usually I use a forum where students can explain why they think their answers should be counted as right).

Those familiar with the responses report history can guess why I use this report very often namiguša.

Odgovor na Jean-Michel Védrine

napisao/la Tim Hunt -

Since no one else filed this yet, I did: MDL-31065

Odgovor na Tim Hunt

napisao/la Tim Hunt -

I have now done what I hope is a correct fix for MDL-31065.

If anyone is able to peer-review or test my changes, that would be most helpful. Thanks.

Odgovor na Tim Hunt

napisao/la Melissa Benson -

Oh, I totally missed the replied to my question. Too bad there's a bug but at least it will eventually get fixed!

The reason we need this is because some of our teachers have quizzes that are short answer and each time the quiz is taken they add more and more "acceptable answers". There are many ways to have the correct answer in Math but many different ways to actually tpye it out. So, over time our teachers have a long long list of acceptable answers, so they need to see the wrong ones all on one page and they can copy that and add it to their correct answers.

An feature request may be: somewhere in the reporting of the right/wrong answers (probably item analysis) there is an option by the wrong answers...to put it in the right answer. So by the "Wrong" answer there is a link that says "make this answer acceptable"...I know for our teachers it'd be sooo beneficial.

Thanks for submitting the ticket.

Odgovor na Melissa Benson

napisao/la Tim Hunt -

If you want a work-around for now, just add a * answer that matches any response that is not matched by some other rule. (Obviously, make that answer worth 0%. Also, doing this gives you the chance to give some feedback to people who typed a response that was not matched by any of the other anwers.

A way to use the respons analysis to update the question would be very cool. My suggesion would be to do it as a separate quiz report plugin in the first instance (you can steal code from the statistics report to do the hard work of the analysis).

Odgovor na Tim Hunt

napisao/la Chris Collman -
Slika Documentation writers

Hi,

Just want to make sure we are talking about the "old" item analysis report which showed every question on the quiz and the percentage of the students who selected each answerd.   I attached a screenshot from MoodleDocs 1.9 that shows a partial report.

I notice that I can export a stat  report that has a record for each student attempt.  It can list 3 fields repeating fields showing question name#, response#, right answer# as fields in the record.   And while I know a little bit about Excel, it is entirely too big a project to get it to look like something below osmijeh

Some of my teachers and administrators would use the old big item analysis report by clicking on the facility index (columns are not longer sortable) so the most missed question were at the top of the list.  Then they would look at each question's answers.   Administrators like to print out the the top part of the report to review with the teacher before the next semester's class.

We only use MC and T/F question typesosmijeh

Thanks for this thread.   I personally like clicking on the question name with the pink background to see the student's answers, but I am not my administrator.  Hoping we can activate the detailed report with a check box.

Chris

Privitak Quiz_Results_ItemAnalysis_partial report 1_9.JPG
Odgovor na Chris Collman

napisao/la Tim Hunt -

The replacement for this is the new Statictics report. 

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Quiz_statistics_report seems to have a screen-grab of all the other parts of the report, except for the bit you are interested in.

Odgovor na Tim Hunt

napisao/la Shani Evenstine -

Hello, Tim.

We've just upgraded from 1.9 to 2.2. 

I understand there's no item analysis, but a statistics report, but what if, like Chris, we do want to see in the report the question itself, as well as the answers and how many students answered each answer? Our lecturers don't really work with moodle and we are heavily counting on the item analysis.

Thanks for your help,

Shani. 

Odgovor na Shani Evenstine

napisao/la Tim Hunt -

Have you tried the statistics report? Have you clicked all the links there?

Odgovor na Tim Hunt

I have. It doesn't show the exact data we used to have in the 1.9 item analysis. The print screen Chris attached above is exactly what we're missing. Is there any way I'm missing to add it..?

Thanks for your help,

Shani. 

To be more exact -- the report has links to that data for each question *separately*. We'd like to see the data for *all* questions together, in one report, just like in the old item analysis.

Is that possible?

Thanks again,

Shani. 

napisao/la Tim Hunt -

You can choose "Download entire report as ..." to get the report in various formats, including HTML which you can open in your web browser. (Not the best UI, I know.) However, dowloading as a spreadsheet may be more useful.

Mr Marc, there is a screen grab at http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Quiz_statistics_report. Specifically