Online Moodle 1.9 to 2.0 course converter

Online Moodle 1.9 to 2.0 course converter

by Kristina Hoeppner -
Number of replies: 14

Hello [sorry for cross-posting],

It is now possible to convert Moodle 1.9 courses into Moodle 2.0 via the online Moodle 1.9 to Moodle 2.0 Course Converter, a script written by Catalyst IT. We opened the online converter up for anybody to use now instead of only the Moodle in NZ Schools community.

That development work was made possible through funding from the NZ Ministry of Education.

All you need to do is upload your Moodle 1.9 file and provide your email address. Once the conversion has finished, you will receive an email with a download link.

The course converter only converts the content and activities as they are available in the Moodle in NZ Schools version plus the Hot Potatoes module. Thus, if you have a course with a module that is not yet supported by the Moodle in NZ Schools version, e.g. Stamp Collection, these activities will not be converted.

The converter works to the best of our knowledge. We will do our best to answer questions from people who use the converter and run into problems, e.g. not get an email with the file.

We will make the code of the converter available to the Moodle community so that others can install it on their own server instead of using the online converter. This code should be available within the next 2 weeks.

Cheers

Kristina

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Kristina Hoeppner

Re: Online Moodle 1.9 to 2.0 course converter

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

This is great - I will go and check it out!smile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Kristina Hoeppner -

Thanks, Mary. This would be great. You may experience some latency as the server is in New Zealand.

Cheers

Kristina

by Alick Brown -

Kristina - that sounds really helpful.

I can't see the link to the online converter though?

In reply to Alick Brown

by Kristina Hoeppner -

Hello Alick,

You can find the converter at http://www.moodleinschools.org.nz/courseconverter or go to http://www.moodleinschools.org.nz and click on "Converter" in the menu bar. Please let me know if you have trouble accessing the page. It should be available for anybody without a login.

Cheers

Kristina

by Anthony Zak -

Has anyone else tried using this converter? I've 'uploaded' a few back up files and have never received the response email with link. It has been a couple days since I uploaded.

I always get this:

"Your file is number 1 in the queue - we will email you a link to download your file when it has been converted in approximately 5 minutes."

But nothing arrives in my inbox. Any ideas?

In reply to Anthony Zak

by Gordon McLeod -

I've not tried this convertor yet (will be doing some test conversions over the next month), but just a hunch – could the e-mail have been caught by your spam filters?

In reply to Anthony Zak

by Alick Brown -

I had the same experience the first time I tried. But when I tried again it worked fine, and very quickly.

However, some files downloaded as '.mbz.zip'.

And I have only tried one restore which failed - it set up the course with all the users and side blocks but would not copy any of the resources, activities or labels.

As my back-up files are bigger than the Moodle limit I copied them into the moodledata/repository/[xxx] and accessed them using File system.

Anyone else got this converter to work through a restore or conversionthingy?

In reply to Alick Brown

by Anthony Zak -

It's definitely not going to my spam. I've tried a couple different emails and  also purposely tried smaller back up files as a test, so I'm not going anywhere near the limit.

Haven't tried conversionthingy (I'm typically use a Mac and it needs Windows and IE). That's the next step.

In reply to Anthony Zak

by Kristina Hoeppner -

Hello Anthony,

Sorry for the late reply. If you send me your email address, I can check if the file was converted and what might have been the reason for holding it up.

Cheers

Kristina

by Kristina Hoeppner -

Hello,

The online course converter can fail, i.e. not send an email if the backup file contains customizations, e.g. course formats, that are not available in the Moodle in NZ Schools version.

Cheers

Kristina

by Kristina Hoeppner -

Hello,

Due to some urgent work, the release of the downloadable converter took longer than expected. You can get it now though from https://github.com/matt-catalyst/oneninetotwo

Please consult the readme file before you attempt to install it on your server. The converter can be installed with the help of a script.

We provide the course converter as online tool as it is not always feasible for users to migrate a Moodle 1.9 to Moodle 2.0, e.g. for high migration costs. If you want to use an entire 1.9 installation in Moodle 2.0, you may be better off with migrating the system instead of converting individual courses.

Cheers

Kristina

by Gautam Bishwas -

Hi Kistina,

I am trying to install your converter consulting readme file.converter not started when executing this command sudo ./setup/setup.sh  this is giving message is unable to create database oneninetwo like this.........

Database username (oneninetotwo): gautam
Database password: gautam
Database host (localhost): localhost
Database port (5432): 5432
Webserver user (www-data): apache
Data directory (/var/lib/oneninetotwo):
Virtual Host name: localhost
Admin email address: foryougautam@gmail.com
+ Creating /var/www/.pgpass
+ Creating database oneninetotwo
This account is currently not available.

please tell me where is I am wrong.I am using fedora 14 with php 5.3.6

Regards

Gautam

by Neelu Singh -

Hi Kristina,

Online course converter is very helpful , its really very nice.i had a good experienced for converting Moodle19 to Moodle2.But my concern is to setup converter in my local machine  . I had download converter code from github from the link which you have provided https://github.com/matt-catalyst/oneninetotwo.

There is readme.txt in the code, I have follow the instruction which is stepout there. After completing configuration step my configuration file is not creating due to some problem and terminal displaying the message  :

+ Creating /var/www/.pgpass

+ Creating database oneninetotwo

This account is currently not available.

Unable to createdb: oneninetotwo

how to solve this problem dnt know ,please guide me.

current code id using postgresql database ,could it possible with mysql? . If yes then please guide me how can i do it?

This is useful only in Linux server .Do you have for windows ?

Best Regards

Neelu Singh