New module: Videofurnace integration

New module: Videofurnace integration

by Eric Remy -
Number of replies: 0

I'm attaching a new module that integrates a Haivision Videofurnace streaming video server into Moodle.  Our library uses this system for their video reserves and they have some serious constraints that require making the videos available only to students within the class, so the module is designed to make sure that faculty and students only see videos associated with the class and that they cannot pass on a viewable URL to anyone.

The module currently works with versions of VF 5.9 and below, and Moodle 1.9.x.  The 6.0 version of VF will be arriving shortly with a new API and so it will not be compatible: we'll have to update along with Moodle 2.0.

To set up, unpack in the mod directory and go to Notifications.  The module needs to know the name of the VF server, the conditional access method (currently either none or CA-RPC, the 6.0 will add another) and a random salt.  Admins may also include a default copyright warning that appears on the main VF module page and set the default semester and year.

The VF admin starts by tagging the videos within the Videofurnace system with the Moodle shortname of the course. A comma-seperated list of shortnames goes into the AFID field.

When the Moodle instructor adds a VF module to a course, they have two options: present either a list of all available videos for the class or go directly to a specific video.  Videos not tagged for the course are not displayed.  Students clicking on a video link will get a VF launch applet that downloads the player and streams the video.  If the admin has set the CA-RPC flag in the module settings, the applet is only good for a few minutes and thus can't be passed on to someone else.

If the admin has set the semester and year, the module will display videos only to courses that have have that semester and year in the shortname, e.g. ENG_201_A_Spring_2011.  This allows the admin to "expire" all the videos in Moodle at the end of the semester automatically.

That's pretty much it- if you have a VF server the comments above will make sense, if not you won't need the module anyway.

(I'll try to get this up on a GIT server as well, but frankly GIT seems to be beyond me.  I've followed the online instructions to the letter and all it does it throw errors when I try to upload files.  If there are any GIT experts out there please don't hesitate to email me.)

Average of ratings: -