Repositories

me at a FIRST robotics competition
Evernote
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Many of my teachers are starting to get into Evernote. Is there any dev work done on creating an evernote repository option?

How much skill/time would it take to code up an Evernote repository if we wanted to develop one?

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Weston Dunn
Re: Evernote

Please let me know if you get this working.  I would love to continue this topic.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of William Stites

Would love to know if this ever happens.  Our school has given every faculty member and student and Evernote premium account as part of our 1:1.

http://www.williamstites.net/category/evernote/

Me at the Moodle Moot NZ11
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

As a heavy Evernote users I'm just keeping this thread going !

I notice Mindomo and Evernote now work together, and Evernote with Skitch ... so wondering if any Moodle developers are also Evernote users and interested in some level of repository integration ?

I'm really happy to test and provide feedback through the process (but not good enough to code this sad)

Stu

Picture of shane botting

Hi Stuart,

I am interested in this thread and I would like to know who you think may be up to this kind of coding. I would like to discuss the possibilities with somone good as I think it would be great for what I need it for.

Thanks in advance Shane

Julian Ridden
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators

That is another plus one from me!

The questions wil of course be on how Evenernote stores files and an API open enought o allow access. But the potential is huge.

As a huge Evernote user this has my +1

Julian

Picture of Dan Zavone

I'm a bit disillusioned With repositories in moodle at present. I too really like Evernote and I use it with students and staff. But if repositories just import a static file to moodle I really fail to see how much of a benefit they are. For many it is double handling unless you're using cloud and web2 for all of your file storage. I understand the reasoning and security but really not fussed if my moodle data is compromised on the web. Just want instant updating of files when changed. If Evernote brings that then awesome

Picture of Justin Hunt

I had a wee look at the evernote api. I think it is possible, even the way Dan wants it. 
http://dev.evernote.com/documentation/reference/

It is just a matter of finding a dev. who has the time to do it. That is probably not me though ...

Picture of shane botting

Hi Justin

Have you had any further thoughts on this?

You mentioned it is a matter of finding a Dev. who has time.

If I would like to speed it up and get a good intergration plugin between EN and Moodle going, How would I go about doing this? I am not a dev. but could be willing to pay for the development should it be within reasonable limits.

Thanks in advance Shane

Picture of Michael Woods

+1 from me too.

Does someone have time to create a tracker so we can generate some votes and attention there?

Picture of Nick Gault

+1 

Is there a tracker for this?

Picture of Frédéric Massart
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi everyone,

I might be interested in developing this repository during next week, but that would be helpful if you guys could tell me more about the way you'd like to see this repository working.

• What kind of data would you like to get from the repository (image, documents, url, or whatever other data evernote supports, ...)?
  • In what context would you like to use them (file resource, activity description, assignment, private files, ...)?
  • What are your expectations in regard of this repository?

I noticed the link with the classroom about Evernote, I will watch it but I haven't had a chance yet.

For your information,  not all repositories support file references (alias/shortcut) and I will have to check whether Evernote would allow us to do so.

Thanks in advance for your feedbacks.

Fred

Group DevelopersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Here is a plugin that I wrote, if you guys want to try it out and give me your feedbacks here is the URL:

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=repository_evernote

Cheers!

Fred

Liang Ee Hang

Hi Mr. Fred,

Thanks for developing this Evernote Repository.

I applied an API from  Evernote Sandbox account see attached. 

I installed your Evernote Repository plugin and set the setting, see attached also.

I changed your lib.php from www.evernote.com to sandbox.evernote.com. 

When i add a File Activity to a course, click the Add button, i will hit an error as shown in attached also.

My Moodle is Moodle 2.3.2+ (Build: 20120920) on localhost

LiangEH

Liang Ee Hang

Hi All,

Just FYI, I encountered another issue in the Evernote Sandbox.

To solve my problem in the Fred's plugin, I revoked the 1st API key in my sandbox Account Setting > Application page. then re-applied the 2nd API key. I went in again to my Evernote Sandbox again. Now, i can't see the Setting > Application page! 

I have reported the problem to Evernote. Hope they can help. 

Hi Liang,

I have just tested on the latest stable 2.3.2+ using your API key mentioned above and it works well (although I strongly recommend you to disable it as it should never be public!).

Just to make sure we are doing the same things, here is how to proceed to use the Sandbox:

Then to use it on the production services, you will need to:

While I developed the plugin, I had issues with the SSL handshake hence the option in the repository settings page. You may try to enable it if you are experiencing issues. (FYI, this problem ocurred on Ubuntu 12.04, not on MacOS X 10.7, as the server).

Liang Ee Hang

Hi Fred,

I received the API Activation Email from Evernote today.

To ensure no other factor causing the Exception - error, I installed a new fresh moodle 2.3.2 on my localhost to see the problem can be solved. Here are the steps:

1. Installed Moodle 2.3.2 on localhost

2. Installed Evernote Repository without changing any code

3. Edited the repository setting with the activated API

4. Went to My Private Files, choosed Evernote Repository. 

5. Clicked Login button.

6. Clicked Authorized.

7. Got the Exception - error.

8. I login to my evernote account (not sandbox account). I notice my app is listed in the Setting > Application page. 

Here are the screenshot.

I recalled when i created the API, it asked "Basic" or "Full" option. I can't remember what i have chosen. But i choosed something like "Create notes, notebooks and tags. Read notebooks and tags.".

I don't use Evernote in my work, so i can pass you my Evernote username and password to let you investigate, if you want. 

Fred, thanks for your effort in detailing out the step.

Liang Ee Hang

I then turned on SSL Compatibility in the Setting page. I got another error message as per attached.

Is it due to the Moodle Site on the localhost?

Hi Liang,

I am a bit confused and am not sure where the errors would be coming from. One thing for sure is that your API key must have total read access. There is no need for write access at all at the moment, I'll update the documentation to specify this.

Could you provide me with more information about your system? Operating system, version of PHP, and other things that could be useful? Also can you enable the setting debug to DEVELOPER, we might have a better understanding of what it happening. If you have access to your Apache/PHP logs, it might be useful as well. That would help to know where the exception is raised. The SSL thing does not seem to be the problem.

You can email me your API key, login/password if to my email address if you want. I'll try them out.

Cheers!

Fred

Liang Ee Hang

I am using WAMP, by Easyphp 5.3.6.

PHP : 5.3.6

MySQL : 5.5.10

Apache : 2.2.17

I will email you the API key, my Evernote login detail.

After i turn on the debug mode to DEVELOPER. I got the following msg.

Invalid JSON string Warning: fopen(http://www.evernote.com/shard/s146/notestore) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! in C:\Program Files (x86)\EasyPHP-5.3.6.0\www\moodlestable2\moodle\repository\evernote\lib\evernote\lib\transport\THttpClient.php on line 190 {"error":"Exception - THttpClient: Could not connect to www.evernote.com\/shard\/s146\/notestore","stacktrace":"* line 196 of \\repository\\evernote\\lib\\evernote\\lib\\transport\\THttpClient.php: TTransportException thrown\n* line 1685 of \\repository\\evernote\\lib\\evernote\\lib\\packages\\NoteStore\\NoteStore.php: call to THttpClient->flush()\n* line 1663 of \\repository\\evernote\\lib\\evernote\\lib\\packages\\NoteStore\\NoteStore.php: call to EDAM\\NoteStore\\NoteStoreClient->send_findNotesMetadata()\n* line 508 of \\repository\\evernote\\lib.php: call to EDAM\\NoteStore\\NoteStoreClient->findNotesMetadata()\n* line 610 of \\repository\\evernote\\lib.php: call to repository_evernote->find_notes_metadata()\n* line 128 of \\repository\\repository_ajax.php: call to repository_evernote->get_listing()\n","debuginfo":"\r\nError code: generalexceptionmessage","reproductionlink":"http:\/\/127.0.0.1:8888\/moodlestable2\/moodle\/"}

Thanks for your help.

LiangEH

I think I have found the problem. You mentioned you chose "Basic Access" when you requested an API key. You will have to ask a "Full Access" key for some reason. It looks like the basic access cannot read through notes but only create new ones which is not what we need here.

I will update the documentation, and improve the error handling/reporting.

When you'll have requested your new API key, you will have to "logout" the user. Well, this is a bit hacky, and will eventually fix this soon, but you will have to call once $this->logout().

Change those lines so that they match the following:

public function check_login() {
$this->logout();
    return !empty($this->accesstoken) && !empty($this->notestoreurl);
}

Open the Evernote repository once, you will see the login screen, then remove $this->logout(); from the lines above.

I am conscious that this is getting really complicated and will do my best to fix those.

Let me know if you can now access your repository.

Liang Ee Hang

I got the reply from the Evernote team as below.

"You simply cannot see the applications tab because you haven't any app authorized for that account. Simply re authorize your app using OAuth and the tab will reappear."

Picture of John DeCore

Just wanted to say good work so far! And to encourage you both to keep it up. I am hoping to integrate Evernote with our Moodle 2.3.

Picture of Vishal Raheja

Hi everyone,

I am now developing the Evernote Plugin for Moodle Portfolio. This plugin would help users to directly upload the Moodle Forum posts to their Evernote notebooks. All the planned features for this plugin have been listed on the page http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Portfolio_plugin_for_Evernote.

Once ready, Moodle will finally be having both the capabilities of the Evernote Repository and the Evernote Portfolio Plugin which would help user to upload or download the contents. Since most of you involved in this post have used the Evernote Repository, it would be great if you can give me some input/suggestions to improve.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
My ugly mug

This is very promising, Vishal.

For those interested in Evernote, please be involved in the discussion...

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=230807

...and watch the project unfold...

http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Portfolio_plugin_for_Evernote

It would be great to have interested testers on-board.