Moodle.php

Moodle.php

by Doug Bell -
Number of replies: 3

When you edit the moodle.php to show text in the format you would like it, when I upgrade moodle installation in the future for security packs etc. will the changes stay or will the moodle.php revert back to the original moodle,php text?

Does security updates or going from version 1.9.9 to 2.0 afect the text I modified?

I am using moodle version 1.9.9

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Doug Bell

Re: Moodle.php

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yes, your changes might be overwritten. The correct way is to use the local language pack en_utf8_local. Please see Language editing for details. Also note that you will have to update the local language pack manually once you upgrade to Moodle 2.x due to changes in the string file format.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Doug Bell -

This is exactly how I edited the moodle.php.The way you describe below, is how I did it. I went to en_utf8_local. I went to edit words or phrases - then selected the moodle.php file to edit the phrases and saved it. My phrases now appear. So I beleive I did it like you state. So if I did it the way I did, and the way you state, will that save my text on update?

The correct way is to use the local language pack en_utf8_local. Please see Language editing for details.

When i read Please see Language editing for details. It states

Note: In versions of Moodle prior to 1.9, it is necessary to click the "Switch lang directory" button on the edit words or phrases page. A local language folder, parentlanguage_local, will then be automatically created in moodledata/lang. Files of edited strings will then be saved in this folder. This is necessary to prevent changes that you make being overwritten by a newer language pack when updating. In Moodle 1.9 onwards, the option to switch is no longer provided as edited strings are automatically saved in the local language folder.

If you wish to make further changes later, be sure to check that files of edited strings will again be saved to the folder parentlanguage_local, switching folder if necessary.

So does this mean I am covered when it comes to future updates?

In reply to Doug Bell

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
en_utf8_local is not touched during the upgrade so as long as you will stay on 1.9.x series, you shall be fine. During the upgrade to 2.0, your *_local lang folders will be renamed and archived and you will have to prepare the local folder from scratch (using the data from the archived directory).
Average of ratings: Useful (2)