How exactly repositories work?

How exactly repositories work?

by Miguel Domínguez Matos -
Number of replies: 3
Hi, I was so impresed when Moodle 2 was launched incluiding the repositories feature. I thought the money my customers could save linking their files to Dropbox, Amazon or Google Docs but now I'm having a doubt. Take a look to the UI, to the generated URLs, and after having some "file is too big..." message, I think files are not linked to the repository, but downloaded to Moodle from the repository and then the users download the file from my Moodle instalation. Is this right? And if so, why? I can't understand it. By the moment I'm linking files as "external" URL but I don't like this way. Why can't we choose a file from a repository and just link? Thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Miguel Domínguez Matos

Re: How exactly repositories work?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Because, depending on the repository, your students may not be able to access the files directly.

If you want to link, use a URL.

If you want Moodle to control access to the file, so that only students can see it, and it is included when you backup that course or resource, then it has to be copied into Moodle.

In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: How exactly repositories work?

by Miguel Domínguez Matos -
>Because, depending on the repository, your students may not be able to access the files directly. Obviously i'm talking about public files in any repository. This could be access without problems > If you want to link, use a URL. Using URL we have to go to repository, get the link, go back to moodle, paste it... It would be great to do it in the same way repository does. For example, there can be an option to select how the file will be accesed: - External linking - Download to Moodle. >If you want Moodle to control access to the file, so that only students can see it, and it is included when you backup that course or resource, then it has to be copied into Files don't need to be backed up as they are stored in repositories, as external links, we only need to store the link to the resource.