Minds want to know - session.bug_compat_warn is on

Minds want to know - session.bug_compat_warn is on

by Robert Lefebvre -
Number of replies: 1

I recommended Moodle to a buddy. He needs a new host anyway, so he is adding compatability to moodle on his shopping list. He had me look at a host's php settings (that he was interested in) and I compared their settings to this list, taken from the forums (I got their settings from a phpinfo() file set up by their support people):

magic_quotes_gpc On
magic_quotes_runtime Off
file_uploads On
short_open_tag On
session.auto_start Off
session.bug_compat_warn Off

Everything is ok except the last one, it is set to "On".

I've been around this mountain before when I set Moodle up on my server except it was the  magic_quotes_gpc setting that wasn't right. I tried htaccess changes, went back and forth with the host, and finally got a different host and Moodle works fine.

This is a different setting, so how crucial is this setting? Will it crash the script? Can we depend on a htaccess workaround? (oops, I didn't ask the host if they're Unix or Apache or what?)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Lefebvre

Re: Minds want to know - session.bug_compat_warn is on

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It's not serious ... in fact I'm not even sure if it's relevant any more in 1.0.9. I tried to make it unnecessary but I don't think the changes were well tested on affected servers.

Basically all this PHP setting did was prevent a small PHP error showing up on logout. There is no functionality problem though.

(Does someone want to try turning the warning on and looking for the warning message on logout?)