bug in latest version of 1.9?

bug in latest version of 1.9?

by Claude Eilers -
Number of replies: 6

Hi, Gordon.

I have a hotpot file I wanted to try on your test site.  I logged in as guestteacher.  Turning editing on gets this error message:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_PRINT in C:\Inetpub\Moodle\19\mod\hotpot\lib.php on line 1119

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Claude Eilers

Re: bug in latest version of 1.9?

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Ah yes. Sorry about that and thanks for reporting it. It is fixed now, so please go ahead and test your HotPot file.

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Claude Eilers -

Gordon, is your site down?

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Oh - yes it is. Thanks for pointing that out.

Actually the server is up and running, but it is unaccessible from outside the university campus. Probably someone is changing router settings over the weekend. It might stay lke this until Monday I'm afraid, but I will see whatI can do with a few delicately worded emails ...

Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -

Hello Claude,
the site seems to be accessible again now - looks like the email message hit the mark smile

regards
Gordon

by Claude Eilers -

Hi Gordon,

A small, weird glitch with jquiz exercises, completely minor but perhaps a symptom that there is a flaw in the code somewhere.

http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/moodle/19/mysql/mod/hotpot/view.php?id=502

For a certain group of jquizzes, I prefer showing all questions rather than one by one.  To accomplish this I added a call to ShowHideQuestions() to body onload.

This works as expected in all browsers.  Except, that once loaded into moodle 1.9, it results in strange behaviour in Firefox: it claims 12 questions are available instead of six (always double), and the first question is blank.  (Only in Firefox, as far as I can see; and only when in Moodle.  As a stand alone, it works fine.)

This is, of course, easy to fix by simply removing the ShowHideQuestions() call, which is easy enough in this circumstance since there is not much advantage to showing all vs one-at-a-time.

But I'm puzzled by the phenomenon: only Firefox, and only within Moodle.

Best,

Claude

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Claude,
thanks for making the HP file available to test on.

As you suspected, Firefox was handling the onload javascript slightly differently to other browsers, and as a result FF was running the HP StartUp function twice, giving you double the number of questions.

I have fixed this issue now in HotPot (Moodle 1.9 and Moodle 2.0) and QuizPort (Moodle 1.9).

BTW, because of the recent change to use GIT for the Moodle repository instead of CVS, I can no longer update the HotPot module for Moodle 1.9. Until I work out how to install and use GIT, you can get the most recent version of of the HotPot module for Moodle 1.9 from here:

thanks for bringing this issue to my attention approve
Gordon