Question pages not text-wrapping in Moodle 2

Question pages not text-wrapping in Moodle 2

Laura Squires - દ્વારા
Number of replies: 12

In multiple choice questions in Moodle 2, the text does not wrap, but runs off the screen for users of IE and Firefox.  They display fine in Google Chrome.  We have searched your site for a fix, but can find none.  We need to start enrolling students in our courses on our new Moodle 2 site, but cannot until we get this problem solved.  Can someone please help?

Thanks,

Laura Squires, Administrator

Professional School of Real Estate

In reply to Laura Squires

Re: Question pages not text-wrapping in Moodle 2

Joseph Rézeau - દ્વારા
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Maybe your problem is related to this discussion: Question text not wrapping in MOODLE 2.0 in MSIE.

Please note that that bug was fixed last February. Make sure you are using the latest available version of Moodle 2.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Laura Squires - દ્વારા

Thankyou for your prompt reply; however, we have studied that fix.  We downloaded our current version of Moodle 2.0 on 3-16-11, and cannot find the line of code mentioned in the solution.  The problem is not isolated to IE, but seems to be related only to users of Windows 7 when accessing the courses through IE or Firefox.  I never upgraded to W7 and use XP Pro and Firefox and don't experience the problem.  Further, users of W7 don't experience the problem when using Google Chrome.

Joseph Rézeau - દ્વારા
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Laura,

You never mentioned Windows 7 in your original post. I'm surprised that the problem should appear in Firefox under Windows 7 but not in Windows XP...

I suggest you check carefully and make a table of systems (Windows, Mac, etc) and versions and of browsers (and versions) showing exactly where the problem occurs and where it does not. Then, post your description (along with some screenshots) to the bug tracker.

To recap, as far as I can test:

using Windows XP

no problem in Firefox 4.0.1, MSIE 8, Chrome 11.0.696.60

It would really help if you would post here some screenshots showing what the problem looks like.

Joseph

Jonathan List - દ્વારા

Believe it or not, this is a bug in Firefox and MSIE. It has something to do with HTML5 compliance and how those browsers render pages with whitespace.  I reported the bug to Mozilla, and they are currently patching the offending files and a fix should be out this summer.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=652775

In reply to Jonathan List

Joseph Rézeau - દ્વારા

Jonathan,

Do you mean there is a bug with FireFox and MSIE when using Windows 7 ?

I do not see the bug with FireFox 4 and MSIE 8 when using Windows XP.

For such cases as this, may I insist that you have

a) to mention the complete configuration you are using which is causing the bug (which system, which version, which browser, which version...

b) to provide screenshots actually displaying the problem.

Joseph

Joseph Rézeau - દ્વારા

Jonathan, the bug you mention Bug 652775 - text in <legend> doesn't wrap

applies to the <legend> tag.

When I examine the source code for Moodle's Lesson pages (Moodle 2 most recent version Moodle 2.0.2+ (Build: 20110427) ), the only place where that tag seems to be used it pretty empty and does not contain any text, so cannot cause any display problem.

<legend class="ftoggler"></legend>

Joseph

PS.- Please provide detailed explanations and screenshost.

Jonathan List - દ્વારા

Read the bug more carefully.  It has to do with the rendering of whitespace in the firefox CSS engine.

You'll also notice that they were able to replicate and fix the bug.  It does deal with the <legend> tag, but the same bug also applies to the appropriate rendering of some elements on other sites.

If you're using an effected version of FF, you can see the bug on this page: https://bug652775.bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=528334

If you are not using an effected version of FF, it will look fine.  Notice that the bug effects both Legend and Div tags.

jsl

Laura Squires - દ્વારા

This capture is from Mozilla Nightly, the nightly build of firefox.  It is a replicateable error on Firefox 3.6 and 4.0 as well as IE 7.  It does render correctly on Google Chrome on Win 7.  It renders correctly on all firefox versions when running under Win XP-Pro.  We have consistantly replicated it on several different computers and from different IPs.  The software resides on a hosted system.  ( a note: this problem was brought to our attention by several clients around the state of Misouri.  Also Moodle 2 has been and is functioning fine for a few months now other than this item.)

There is no problem with text wrap in other pages than the question pages.

Capture 'a' is Win 7 and 'b' is Win XP-Pro  both are on firefox.

In all cases Moodle 2 has worked quite well in the browsers on the XP opsys on all of our machines. It is only the Win 7 machines with the problem.

Attachment moodle_capture-c.jpg

Laura Squires - દ્વારા

Sorry I might have replied wrongly.  I sent the sceen capture and it is above under the original request for help.  Let me know if I should send it here direct to a reply here.

Joseph Rézeau - દ્વારા

Laura,

You can attach your screen captures to a further post in this discussion, but please make them bigger, the ones you posted are so tiny as to be un-readable!

Joseph

PS.- Do I understand correctly that the display problem you describe only happens in Firefox and MSIE when using Windows 7? If so I can't help you any further since I am on Windows XP. Sorry.

Laura Squires - દ્વારા

Hi Joseph, I am the admin.  Yes you understand correctly.  The problem does not exist with XP,  In any browser!   Yet it does resolve correctly with Chrome and not Firefox (any build) or IE.  It is just a win 7 thing.  I could let it pass yet we have many months of love and labor in these courses and it is a state approved course so needs to be readable to all, especially the state reviewers.

If I knew where the display page was built for this I would deal with it myself yet it makes me nervous in that what would that do to XP browsers?

Any direction you can point me in would be good.  I was gonna try to bu everything and do a clean load of the latest build and restore the backup and see if there is any diff.  Other than that I am lost. and we'll have to go back to 1.9

Laura Squires - દ્વારા

Johnathan, I was just reading the FF bug progress report you posted.  It seems to satisfy the requirement here except we have not had it render correctly in IE under win 7.  Any of them other than Chrome actually.

I will solve the issue by removing the entire site and reloading 1.9 and restoring the last BU then deal with the rest as it resolves OK.  1.9 has no problem  resolving pages correctly on Win 7/FF4

Very strange stuff indeed.