First time installer

First time installer

by Jeff Mehring -
Number of replies: 4

Hello,

I decided to try and install moodle on a shared sever by myself for the first time. This is a completely new installation. I have a few questions, but here is the system information from the shared server I am using:

Browser: Firefox 4.0

Moodle version 2.0.2

Server Operating System name (version also if possible): CentOS release 5.6 (Final)

Webserver (e.g. Apache/IIS) version: Apache 2.2.14

Database server (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL) version: MySql version: 5.0.92

PHP version: 5.2.17

I understand my PHP version may be too incorrect and I am in the process of trying to upgrade to 5.2.8 or 5.3.2. My goal is to create a Mahoodle, but first things first. Install Moodle 2.0.2.

I have downloaded the zipped version of the standard Moodle 2.0.2 package from Moodle.org. After unzipping it I found a read me text and am comparing that with the docs found on Moodle.org.

My questions are:

1) Move the Moodle files into your web directory or web server documents directory. Where is this found? I have included a picture of my cPanel, is this the home, public ftp, public html or www area? I place the entire zip file in one of these and then extract it correct?

2) I created a database in according to the instructions in Moodle.org, but where is the data directory created? Is that in MySQL as well or MyPhpAdmin?

I tried on my own and got as far as running the install.php script when it gave me error readings. Besides not having the correct PHP for 2.0, what else am I doing wrong for installation?

Thanks,
Jeff

Attachment Screen shot 2011-04-29 at 6.03.35 PM.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Mehring

Re: First time installer

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

The problem with a shared server is you have no control over some aspects of the installation process.  I suggest you install it on a local machine several times to get a feel for a good installation. Then you talk to your host and let them know what you are doing. They will tell you where you can put the database, or they may just as easily tell you to go somewhere else. Some Moodle admin/users have not been kind to their hosts and have caused problems like hogged resources and constantly caused space violations. Usually this has been caused by the Moodle admin/users not realising the dynamic nature of Moodle and as their host may be unaware of it also. This is, almost inevitably, going to cause some conflict. As long as you are aware of that then you should be OK, but you may end up looking for a another host or asking your current host to put your Moodle onto another, more dynamic server with more space.

Please realise that shared servers are generally best for people with static web pages, i.e. for anyone who has a web site that does not change a lot. Shared servers do not always play nicely with dynamic PHP applications like Moodle.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Jeff Smith -

I know some webhosts have one click installers for Moodle.  I would install it locally using of the Windows packages and then you can look to see what goes where.

In reply to Jeff Mehring

by Grant Mucha -

1) Move the Moodle files into your web directory or web server documents directory. Where is this found? I have included a picture of my cPanel, is this the home, public ftp, public html or www area? I place the entire zip file in one of these and then extract it correct?

/public_html/ < put all moodle files here

2) I created a database in according to the instructions in Moodle.org, but where is the data directory created? Is that in MySQL as well or MyPhpAdmin?

I believe this is best created outside of your public_html directory. Which means that it should look something like..

/public_html/all moodle files

/moodledata/

Files inside public_html are accessable online while /moodledata/ is not.

Also I am not sure why you are having a problem with PHP, you should only get a warning to update to PHP 5.3+ I am currently running 2.0.2+ on 5.2.17 perfectly fine.

In reply to Jeff Mehring

by Guillermo Madero -

You just need to unzip the Moodle installation file under the public_html folder; a "moodle" folder will be created with all the Moodle files:
/home/yourusername/public_html/moodle

For the Moodle data files you need to create a "moodledata" folder under your username folder:
/home/yourusername/moodledata

To create a (MySQL) Moodle data base (with its corresponding DB User) you go to your PhpMyAdmin page. You cannot see where the DB files reside nor have (direct) access to them, but you don't need to because all your DB work is done through PhpMyAdmin.

Once you've finished setting all this up, you can start the installation by going to yourdomain.com/moodle; the process should end without problems.

Cheers!