Quiz default categories

Quiz default categories

by Rose Lopez -
Number of replies: 2

I currently use Moodle 1.9.  I've made quite a few quizzes this year and find them very useful.  The other day I was experimenting with how to make quizzes with the least amount of steps, and I noticed that if I use this order:

1.  Add an activity

2.  Quiz (quiz descriptor, etc.)

3.  Save and display

Now I'm on the page where I can add questions and in the category drop down menu, I see "default (quiz name)".  So Moodle took my quiz name and made a default category name for me.  I thought this was great because it saves me the step of creating a category.  I made a couple of quizzes this way and they've worked just fine.

Here's my question:  If I want to create a review quiz and combine questions from previously made quizzes, I cannot see the default category questions.  So, I only seem to have access to previous questions if I take the step myself to create a category, and not let Moodle create a default category.  Is this correct?  If so, is there a reason why users don't have access to questions in default categories to create new quizzes?

Thank you,

Rose

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rose Lopez

Re: Quiz default categories

by Michelle Hill -

Hi Rose,

Did you ever get a reply to this?  I am trying to do the same thing.

Thanks,
Michelle

In reply to Rose Lopez

Re: Quiz default categories

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The question bank is unnecessarily confusing, although there is a perverse logic once you get your head round it.

The summary is that you need to move your questions or categories into the 'Default for course ...' area of the question bank if you want to use them in different quizzes. You can safely do this if they are currently in the 'Default for quiz ...' area.