Standard version 2 Wiki doesn't seem to understand groups and groupings

Standard version 2 Wiki doesn't seem to understand groups and groupings

by Peter Ruthven-Stuart -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Plugin developers

Hello,

Is anyone else having problems with groups and the standard Wiki module in Moodle version 2?

I'd like to be able to set up a wiki on a version 2 moodle system in which, "there is one wiki per group, students can change the wiki of their own group only, and they can view the wikis for all groups."

When using moodle 1.9 and the standard issue Wiki I often set up a wiki so that small groups of students could collaboratively edit their own group wiki, and view the wikis of other groups (see the yellow cell in the table below). This does not seem to be possible in version 2. Either students are able to edit both their own group's and other groups' wikis, OR they can only edit their own group's wiki and not even see other groups' wikis.

The settings for a 1.9 wiki to make this group collaboration possible were (also see yellow cell in the table below):

• Type: groups
  • Group mode: visible
  • Grouping: Grouping-A (this setting not necessary, but useful in courses with lots of groups)

The Wiki settings in version 2 are different. These settings;

• Wiki mode: Collaborative
  • Group mode: Visible groups
  • Grouping: Grouping-A

result in a wiki in which students can edit their own group's wiki AND those of other groups. I was hoping that these settings would emulate the 1.9 version described above (and in the yellow cell below).

These settings:

• Wiki mode: Individual
  • Group mode: Visible groups
  • Grouping: Grouping-A
  • Available for group members only: checked

result in a wiki in which students cannot edit a group wiki (to be expected) but can edit their own wiki. They can also see the wikis of other students. The strange thing about these settings is that even with the "Available for group members only" checked, students can see a menu of all students and groups in the course, not just the groups in the relevant grouping.

I have tried other combinations of settings, but none get the result I want and used to be able to get in 1.9. i.e. "one wiki per group. Students can change the wiki of their own group only. They can view the wikis for all groups".

This is a bug, surely?

For your reference, here are the Wiki types available in 1.9, copied from the help files of a 1.9 system:

Wiki types (in 1.9)

There are three wiki types: Teacher, Groups, Student. In addition, like any activity, the wiki has the Moodle group modes: "No Groups" "Separate Groups" and "Visible Groups". This leads to the following matrix of nine possibilities:

No Groups Separate Groups Visible Groups
Teacher There is only one wiki which only the teacher can edit. Students can view the contents. There is one wiki for every group which just the teacher can edit. Students can view the wiki of their group only. There is one wiki for every group which just the teacher can edit. Students can view the wikis for all groups.
Groups There is only one wiki. The teacher and all students can view and edit this wiki. There is one wiki per group. Students can view and edit the wiki of their own group only. There is one wiki per group. Students can change the wiki of their own group only. They can view the wikis for all groups.
Student Every student has their own wiki which only they and their teacher can view and edit. Every student has their own wiki, which only they and their teacher can edit. Students can view the wikis of other students in their group. Every student has their own wiki, which only they and their teacher can edit. Students can view the wikis of all other students in the course.

Unless the group mode has been forced by the course settings, it can be set with the groups icons on the course home page after the wiki has been created.

So how can this group wiki feature be emulated in version 2?

Environment:

• Moodle 2.0.2+ (Build: 20110413)
  • php 5.3.3
  • MySQL 5.5.9
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Ruthven-Stuart

Re: Standard version 2 Wiki doesn't seem to understand groups and groupings

by Peter Diedrichs -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I agree, this is no good!

The possibility to choose that groups can read and also comment on each others group-wiki would be fine, but they should not be able to "cross-edit".

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Peter Diedrichs

Peter,

Thanks for your comment. This issue has been reported as a bug:

MDL-27037

I do hope that this serious flaw in the Wiki module can be fixed soon. Until then, it renders this module pretty much unusable in any course that requires groups to co-edit their group's wiki, and just view those of other groups.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
thanks for reporting it, we will look into it... I cannot give an answer yet, wiki modes are tricky... We will report on the tracker issue.
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

Ludo,

Thanks for your reply and for looking into this bug.

"I cannot give an answer yet, wiki modes are tricky..."

The thing is, many of the users of the standard Wiki in Moodle 1.9 got used to the concept of groups being able to edit their own wiki but not those of other groups. It is not easy to explain to people that a core feature of the Wiki (and of Moodle given it's constructivist foundations) no longer exists in the new Moodle version.

by Noel Chidwick -

Was this issue sorted?

In reply to Noel Chidwick

by Peter Roberts -

I tried the wiki out on the 2.2 beta and still had navigation problems using 'visible groups'. We've resorted to using a clunky workaround for existing courses that use it. You can see that in this thread here - http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=190581#p832518

There's a tracker entry here: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-30478