I have seen the Performanace document on moodle. That is an excellent document, but the options available to us are many. And my problem is how to select the best.
I am presently doing successfully a pilot for a single course on moodle (1.9) for about 100 students (25 to 30 concurrent students) and I am using VPS with the following configuration:
1) CPU 1280 Mz
2) 1GB RAM
3) 40 GB Hard Disk
For the next year we are planning for 1000 students and I have a option for adding resources as follows :
1) CPU 2048 Mz
2) RAM Up to 8 GB
3) Disk space as needed up to 200 GB.
Now my questions are :
1) Will this be suitable for supporting 1000 students on single server setup? (Considering that I will be able to add 1 GB RAM per 50 concurrent Students )
2) How far this setup can go ?
3) When should I consider a dedicated server setup?
4) When should I consider a set of dedicated database server and webserver?
I will appreciate your any help.