Name and Date not Appearing with Other Languages Selected

Name and Date not Appearing with Other Languages Selected

by Joseph Heekin -
Number of replies: 9

When I switch language from English to German, the user's full name in the top right and the month and year of the calendar are not shown; rather the symbol for this quantity appears (as shown in the picture). This only happens when I am viewing the site in German--in English I see the correct values. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Joey

Attachment missing.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Heekin

Re: Name and Date not Appearing with Other Languages Selected

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The translator forgot to put {} round the $a there.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Heekin -

Looking through some of the German language pack files, I haven't seen the {} used anywhere. What is interesting to me is that the language pack was last updated on May 26, 2010 and I was able to use it on a Moodle running 2.0.1 without this issue. Was something from 2.0.1 to 2.0.2 changed that now requires the braces?

I attached a snippet from access.php, from both the English and German versions.

Joey

Attachment nobraces.PNG

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Gosh - so you do have wrong version of language pack installed! That is what I asked to check for at the very beginning. Please make sure that your lang pack updating utility works or download and install de.zip from http://download.moodle.org/langpack/2.0/ manually (do not forget to purge caches manually in that case, too).

There was no change during 2.0.x - something weird had to happen at your site...
In reply to David Mudrák

by Joseph Heekin -

Oh..the problem was, I thought I had updated it, when it turns out I just can't read. mixed I assumed Downloads >> Language Packs was the right page whereas there is a bright blue link at the top of it for 2.0 verions...

In any case all is working now, and it is of course no bug, just user error. Thanks.

Joey

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hmm, this seems to be similar to MDL-26471. Can you please check my comments there and eventually comment your findings there as well? Thanks.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Joseph Heekin -

I have done so. I have noticed that it also occurs in the quiz module (pictured: number of attempts and grading method top, German vs. English quiz results bottom). Would it be useful for me to post here everywhere I encounter this issue, or is this something that when fixed in one location it will fix the rest of the issues? (I.e., should I add a post here every time I find another similar occurance?)

Attachment quiz.PNG

by David Mudrák -
No need to re-post every time you spot this. I believe they all are caused by a common bug in the core. Can you just provide me a detailed steps to reproduce the issue? And is that happening only after you switch? Does it fix somehow itself later?
In reply to David Mudrák

by Joseph Heekin -

I have a site which is to operate in two languages--German and English. The language menu has been set to appear on every page, so one can change his/her language from anywhere in the Moodle site, not just on the standard few pages.

When English is selected, I have noticed no $a-type symbols anywhere on the site; however, whenever German is selected I see them in the user name, the calendar information, and the quiz information. It appears not to matter where one changes the site to German (i.e., whether they are already in a course and change it or change it at the home page and go back into a course), whenever German is the language selected from the box, the error is present. It has never fixed itself in German, and when in English it's immediately back to normal.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I do not see this problem at all on my local installation of Moodle 2.0.2+ (Build: 20110427).

Joseph

Attachment 27-04-2011 23-25-34.jpg