Please answer ONE question?? Project for a college course on online program implementation

Please answer ONE question?? Project for a college course on online program implementation

by Jamey Barber -
Number of replies: 1

Hi All, I am looking for someone in K-12 Moodling that can talk about program implementation, converting courses from face-to-face to online, accessibility issues, etc. I promise that it will be very short and can be via email. this interview is an assignment for the Master's program in Online Teaching and Learning at California State University-East Bay. They use Blackboard, but I am using Moodle for special needs students for my capstone project. So . . . I'm turning to my fellow K-12 Moodlers for help! So is anybody out there, with all the free time they have as educators, willing to answer some questions for me? I have been using Moodle for almost eight years. Let me know by reply, as I need to have this done in the next week and a half. Here are some of the questions I would ask:

1. How long has your online program used Moodle, did you switch from another CMS? If so, why did you switch to Moodle?

2. Is your program a major transfer of classes from facd-to-face to online? If so, how did you train traditional classroom teachers to transfer their classes to online.

3. Do you have official professional development courses to train teachers on how to use Moodle, transfer courses, give tech support? If so, do you hold face-to-face workshops or do you use Moodle?

4. What kind of tech support is available at your institution? In your opinion, is it effective for the teachers? For the students?

5. How involved are your parents involved in your online learning program? Do you have parent accounts?

6. How do you ensure that your courses are as accessible as possible for disabled students? Do you follow Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)?

7. How do you host your online program? If hosted locally, do you have proper server space, memory, and broadband access for your online program? Who is in charge of the server?

8. How do you assess the effectiveness of a particular course? The entire program?

9. What is the workload of an online instructor vs. a traditional face-to-face instructor? Do they receive more or less compensation? Is tenure affected by whether an instructor teaches online or not?

10. Do you have a blended or online only program?

11. Are your courses using media-rich content? If not, why? If so, do you have problems with compatibility?

12. Do you integrate third party Web 2.0 tools in your program? If not, why?

13. Who owns the course content in your program, the institution or the instructor?

14. How does your institution monitor fair-use, plagiarism and copyright infringement.

15. What provisions/accommodations do you make for LD students?

Sincerely,

Jamey Barber

jbarbercsueb@gmail.com

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jamey Barber

Re: Please answer ONE question?? Project for a college course on online program implementation

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jamey,

Just a comment on question 13 (I am not a K-12 teacher).  In our school neither the institution nor the instructor owns the content. 90% is open content, owned by the educational community as a whole. 10% is licensed courseware owned by a publisher. So I recommend rephrasing it to:

13. Who owns the course content in your program, the institution, the instructor, a publisher, or the public as open content?

Incidentally, I recommend that all institutions build policies and contracts that state all content created by staff is created for the general public and is owned by the public. As more people share Moodle courses via many Moodle Hubs (ver 2.0), this will be an important policy.

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)