Themes

It's only an avatar...
How to clone a Moodle 2 Theme
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Just to let you know I have written a short and simple tutorial on how to clone a Moodle 2 theme. You can find it here...

Development:Themes 2.0 how to clone a Moodle 2.0 theme

Average of ratings:Useful (3)
Picture of Richard Oelmann
Re: How to clone a Moodle 2 Theme
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Mary

WONDERFUL! big grin

You beat me to it - had started (but no where near finished) something similar based on Anomaly.

The only thing that may be worth adding (relevant to themes such as anomaly, but not to boxxie) might be to specifically mention lib/renderers in your final paragraph that does already refer to other themes having more files/folders - the reason I had chosen Anomaly as my base smile

As always Mary, a fantastic job of providing useful help and information for those who need it. You are a star.

Rich

Average of ratings: -
Picture of suman bogati

thanks mary...

It's only an avatar...
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Suman,

Hope you find this useful? Did you manage to style your public profile page?

Mary

Picture of suman bogati

Mary..

The same thing I have achieved before release that tutorial. So it was not new for me, I am happy for others that moodle released that tutorial.

Till now I did not get any clue about "my public page". If I'll get any information about that, I'll share it with you.

suman

It's only an avatar...

Hi Richard,

I choose Boxxie because I was aiming my tutorial at those with just basic HTML & CSS skills.  While you could take the tutorial one step further and talk about the advanced stuff of renderers, libs and settings. If you did a similar tutorial based on Anomaly, that would be great! That way I could add a link to your Moodle Doc, and  you could reference mine when talking about the basic steps, thus freeing up the time it takes writing these docs.

smile

Mary

Hi Mary,

I've finally managed to recover all my moodle onto my main desktop after my local host pc died (the power supply gave out and can't economically be replaced being a small form factor box that I originally recovered from a business that was replacing their kit), so I will do as you suggest over the next week and complete the one I'd started on Anomaly.

But for your tutorial, I didn't mean to suggest going into any detail as I think it is perfectly pitched as you've written it, but just something like adding

"... far more files and directories, such as lib.php and renderers.php and others, so be sure ..."

That would keep it targetted at the level you have, but would begin to point people at some of the most common other locations that need editing. Just a possible thought for an already great, useful, tutorial approve

Rich

It's only an avatar...

Hi Rich,

Glad to hear you got all your Moodle files back. I'll look forward to your tutorial. I'll also do as you suggest...thanks for that.

Cheers

Picture of Asociación E-duca.eu

In moodle 2.1 I get blank page after cloning a theme in theme selector screen (formal_white) following your steps.

I think it needs something more

What can it be?

The tutorial was written using Boxxie theme which has no additional features such as a settings page, while formal_white does.

This means that there are additional files which will need to be adjusted. Basically you need to find the theme name in every file and change it. In FormalWhite this will include settings.php and lib.php and now also version.php will also have to be changed.

I use gEdit (on Linux) or Notepad (on Windows), I open every layout, style or other file in the theme folder and use search and replace to change the name in the text.

HTH

Richard

Quote from How to Clone a Theme tutorial

And basically that's it as far as this theme is concerned. However there are some themes which contain far more files and directories, like renderers, lib and settings PHP as well as Javascript, jQuery and other customisable elements of a Moodle theme.