Student Quiz results fail to show

Student Quiz results fail to show

por Eric Hagley -
Number of replies: 17

I'm using 1.9.11.

Students have taken a quiz. When I go to view the results I can see the screen and on it is

"Grading method: Average grade

Attempts: 47"
When I click the "Attempts 47" I see "Nothing to display "
I change the "Show / download" to different values.
When I use "All students" I can see
First name : All A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Surname : All A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Page:  1  2 3 4 5 6 7 (Next)
but no actual results.
If I click on the A or one of the other letters I can see some results.
Otherwise on all other screens (all attempts etc) I only get the "Nothing to display" view.
I have added the "drag and drop matching" and "ordering" modules - not sure if that has anything to do with it...
This happens in all the courses on the site.
Any ideas on how to over come this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards,
Eric Hagley
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric Hagley

Re: Student Quiz results fail to show

por Tim Hunt -
Imaxe de Core developers Imaxe de Documentation writers Imaxe de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imaxe de Peer reviewers Imaxe de Plugin developers

Can you try again with Debugging turned on, to see if you get an error message.

In reply to Tim Hunt

por Eric Hagley -

Thanks Tim for your reply. I tried with debugging on but nothing was shown.

Would very much appreciate any help you could give!
Kind regards,
Eric

In reply to Eric Hagley

por Ro Eng -

What happens when you download the results to txt or whatever?  (same hting)?

And, dont laugh (or be insulted)...have you tried different computers and different browsers and is it still happening?  If not, I would try a different browser and at least one other computer.

In reply to Ro Eng

por Eric Hagley -

Ah! Now there's an interesting point I hadn't noticed. I can't download from the view results page. It is the same on 3 different browsers and 2 different computers (different OS too.)

From the course admin menu, grades, I can download and view the grades - I would like to be able to see them in the view grades window though!

Again, if anyone can be of assistance I would be most grateful.

Thank you in advance.

Eric Hagley

In reply to Eric Hagley

por Eric Hagley -

I mentioned that other courses on the site also have this problem. On checking this more thoroughly, a few of the courses are showing grades. So this is most puzzling.

In reply to Eric Hagley

por Tim Hunt -
Imaxe de Core developers Imaxe de Documentation writers Imaxe de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imaxe de Peer reviewers Imaxe de Plugin developers

I am very puzzled that debugging did not display everything. The symptoms really look like it is running out of memory, or something, so I would expect to see a message something like "PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of ... bytes exhausted (tried to allocate … bytes) in …". Sorry I can't be more helpful.

In reply to Tim Hunt

por Paul Nijbakker -

Hi Tim,

This error is most likely the same as mentioned here: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=167923 but note that the solution from Pino Calambrogio only applies to the assignment results not showing to the teacher. It does not solve the same problem seen in the quiz module.

The solution for the quiz that you referred to in the above discussion only applies to Moodle 2, am I right?. I could not find the code you provided (https://github.com/timhunt/moodle/commit/19a9f1124d03be35efae735639911f4c94b8407f) for mod/quiz/report/overview/report.php in our 1.9.11 Moodle.

Do you know if there is already an entry in the tracker for this specifc issue?

Rgrds,
Paul.

In reply to Tim Hunt

por Tzvi Daum -

Hi,

I recently and unexpectedly started having the same problem described here while running Moodle 1.9.

For some quizzes, I suddenly cannot see any results when "all" the results are to be displayed. If I click on an individual letter I can see the results of those students whose name begins with that particular letter and all the results are visible when I download them to a spread sheet. Even in the "all" page I can see a graph which shows the results but not the individual grades of each student in a table like it is supposed to. 

I ran debugging and this is what I got:

BIGINT UNSIGNED value is out of range in '(`zvido1_moodle01`.`qa`.`timefinish` - `zvido1_moodle01`.`qa`.`timestart`)'

SELECT CONCAT(u.id,'#', IFNULL(qa.attempt, 0) ) AS uniqueid, (CASE WHEN qa.sumgrades = (SELECT MAX(qa2.sumgrades) FROM mdl_quiz_attempts qa2 WHERE qa2.quiz = qa.quiz AND qa2.userid = qa.userid) AND qa.timestart = (SELECT MIN(qa3.timestart) FROM mdl_quiz_attempts qa3 WHERE qa3.quiz = qa.quiz AND qa3.userid = qa.userid AND qa3.sumgrades = qa.sumgrades) THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) AS gradedattempt, qa.uniqueid AS attemptuniqueid, qa.id AS attempt, u.id AS userid, u.idnumber, u.firstname, u.lastname, u.picture, u.imagealt, qa.sumgrades, qa.timefinish, qa.timestart, qa.timefinish - qa.timestart AS duration FROM mdl_user u LEFT JOIN mdl_quiz_attempts qa ON qa.userid = u.id AND qa.quiz = 626 WHERE qa.id IS NOT NULL AND qa.preview = 0 ORDER BY uniqueid

• line 686 of lib/dmllib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 966 of lib/dmllib.php: call to get_recordset_sql()
  • line 439 of mod/quiz/report/overview/report.php: call to get_records_sql()
  • line 73 of mod/quiz/report.php: call to quiz_report->display()

I can't make heads or tails of this, so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Tzvi

In reply to Tzvi Daum

por Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Tzvi,

The solution was given more than 1 year before in this exact forum thread you posted.

You are certainly using a rather old version of Moodle 1.9 because it was fixed in Moodle 1.9.12. See tracker issue MDL-26937.

So you have 2 solutions :

- upgrade your Moodle to the latest version of Moodle 1.9 (currently Moodle 1.9.17+) This is by far the best and easiest solution and it will fix a lot of other bugs too broma.

- or if you know how to edit a php file, look at the commit for MDL-26937 issue here : https://github.com/timhunt/moodle/commit/71ec5d19df4f506ca810cd55e25ebca4c5b94962 and make the same change on your mod/quiz/report/overview/report.php.

But I strongly recommend upgrading to Moodle 1.9.17+ (at least sorrisa grande)

In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

por Tzvi Daum -

Hi Jean,

Thank you so much! Yes, upgrading to 1.9.17+ solved the problem (and some others I have noticed). I didn't realize from the thread that was the solution. In any event, I hope to upgrade to 2+ after our school year is done. 

Thanks again for your help!

Tzvi

In reply to Eric Hagley

por Eric Hagley -

I'm still trying to work out what is wrong here. The strange thing is that when I chose "Show students with no attempts only", it shows the outline clearly. But it doesn't show anything for the other options. I have the options set as grading method - average grade, no penalties, show to 2 decimal points, adaptive mode - yes but other than those changes all default settings.

Though the grade should total to 8, I have as an override that the maximum grade is 1. Don't think anything should be wrong with these settings though. Very puzzling!

In reply to Eric Hagley

por Paul Nijbakker -

Hi Eric,

It is caused by students having unfinished attempts (They started the quiz but did not submit it; these attempts are normally flagged as "Open"). If you remove the entries in the database (mdl_quiz_attempts) where timefinished = 0, the quiz results are visible again. However, doing this only treats the symptom and not the underlying cause.

Rgrds,
Paul.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
In reply to Paul Nijbakker

por Eric Hagley -

Thank you very much Paul for this. I'll look forward to a fix soon!

Kind regards,

Eric

In reply to Eric Hagley

por Paul Nijbakker -

Hi,

We have the same problem and it occurred concurrently with the problem of non-showing assignment grading pages. The latter problem was solved with a hack, but the problem with the quiz results not showing persists and both are the result of a MySql upgrade (in our case to version 5.5.11)

Moodle 1.9.11+
MySql 5.5.11
PHP 5.3.6

In reply to Eric Hagley

por Sue Demoor -

One of the lecturers just noticed that if you filter the results of one quiz (eg first name S), then go to another quiz your will only see students with the same filter turned on (students first name S).

There is no way to turn this filter off in the second quiz so you must return to the first and click ALL. What a pain.

This is the first time I became aware of this.

In reply to Eric Hagley

por Vladimir Pshenkin -

I have the same problem after OS upgrade with moodle 1.9.9the solution is to change around line 344 in /mod/quiz/report/overview/report.php 

from
$select .= 'qa.uniqueid AS attemptuniqueid, qa.id AS attempt, '  
'u.id AS userid, u.idnumber, u.firstname, u.lastname, u.picture, u.imagealt, '
'qa.sumgrades, qa.timefinish, qa.timestart, qa.timefinish - qa.timestart AS duration';
to
$select .= 'qa.uniqueid AS attemptuniqueid, qa.id AS attempt, '
'u.id AS userid, u.idnumber, u.firstname, u.lastname, u.picture, u.imagealt, '
'qa.sumgrades, qa.timefinish, qa.timestart, convert(qa.timefinish,signed) - convert(qa.timestart,signed) AS duration';