Locking uploaded files whilst they are being edited

Locking uploaded files whilst they are being edited

by Marc Burrows -
Number of replies: 2

Hi there,

I'm putting together moodle for a school, and they have one request that I haven't been able to find any information on, I'm possibly not searching for the right thing.

What I was wondering is, is there a module or plugin for moodle (preferably version 2, but not a necessity) that will allow one user to access a file which has been uploaded (eg a word file), and check it out so that anyone else who wants to work on the file at the same time won't be able to.

I realise this might be able to be done using WebDAV, but this has to be used by teachers that aren't the most technically minded - therefore they don't want anything overly confusing.

I hope this all makes sense! Thanks in advance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marc Burrows

Re: Locking uploaded files whilst they are being edited

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. Which version of Moodle are you currently using/ 1.9 or 2.0? Currently the only way your teachers could edit  file online would be with the Microsoft addin for Moodle - otherwise they would have to download it, make the changes and repload (with a different name) - and either way I can't see a way of "locking it" so others can't edit it at the same time. Even if you had webdav more than one person at a time could get hold of it to edit it. Are these files,eg Word docs, very large and complex? Just thinking that if they were relatively simple text it might be easier to have them as Moodle's "compose a webpage "and then teachers would have to edit online and would see immediately if anyone else had edited it or was online (online users block) and likely to start editing it.

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Locking uploaded files whilst they are being edited

by Marc Burrows -

Preferably we would want to use 2.0, but if there is a plugin for 1.9 and not 2.0 then we would want to use whatever version a plugin worked for.

Thanks for your response, my first response to them was to use compose a webpage, but they wanted everything in word docs - which causes issues! Again the office plugin isn't really what they want.

I just thought I'd ask on here as I can't seem to find anyting even close to the same issue, so it seems we will have to create a custom check-in/out system for them.

Thanks again