Personalized files for each student

Personalized files for each student

by Maiol Pi Blanque -
Number of replies: 3

Hi!

I've been looking for information on loading files personalized for each student . For example, a different file for each student. Is that possible?

I'm working with Moodle 2.0.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Maiol Pi Blanque

Re: Personalized files for each student

by Peter Ruthven-Stuart -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Maiol,

Is it imperative that students can only see their own 'personalized files'?

If so, one solution that occurs to me is to use the Groupings and Groups feature and the Folder resource. However, it's not a very elegant solution, and will take time to set up. But perhaps this possible plan will give you a better idea:

1. create a grouping named after each student
  2. in each grouping add a group called "Personal Files"
  3. add each student to their respective "Personal Files" group
  4. Then create a 'Folder' resources for each student
  5. Each Folder resource should be set as follows:
    1. Grouping: choose the grouping named after the relevant student
    2. Available for group members only: check
  6. upload the personalized files to each Folder resource: only students belonging to the Grouping assigned to the Folder will be able to see the content - in fact, I think the entire Folder will be invisible to other students.

The advantage of this is that each Folder resource will be a 'permanent' private directory for each student to which the teacher can upload files and from which students can download. Of course, the big problem with this solution is that it's not very practical for courses with 'lots' of students.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Peter Ruthven-Stuart

by Mark Storey -

Hello All,

Perhaps I can help a little.

For my institute it was likewise imperative to individualize student files. A quick work around is necessary since I don't have time to develop a peronalized student module as yet.

I created one "advanced assignment" and removed all the unnecessary parameters like date etc and then simply uploaded the individual files for each student just as if I was providing feedback.

True, it's clumsy from one point of view, but simple and effective from another.

Hope this helps.

regards

Mark

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Maiol Pi Blanque

by Maiol Pi Blanque -

Thanks Peter & Mark, lets see which solution fits better in my situation