Forum Not Sending Emails

Forum Not Sending Emails

by William Purcell -
Number of replies: 7

We have been having a consistent problem with Forum not sending emails. While playing around with various settings we've discovered that under the Site Administration menu if we go down the Modules/Activities/ManageActivities and set Journal to Hide, then the Forum mail function works. However, when Journal is set to Show then Forum mail is no longer sent (though it appears to be backlogged). Once that Journal setting is again set to Hide, then the mail that has been accumulating is sent.

It seems to me that this problem developed after an upgrade (but I do not know from or to what versions.) Has anyone else encountered this? How can it be corrected?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to William Purcell

Re: Forum Not Sending Emails

by umesh chavan -

hello william,

at top right corner of the forum if you select Force Everyone to Subscribe, the users under that course will receive email.

HTH

Umesh

In reply to umesh chavan

by William Purcell -

Thank you for your input, Umesh, but the problem is not there.

When the Journal is activated (this is a site setting, not a course setting) then the Forum does not send email. However, when the Journal is deactivated then the Forum does send mail.

Having browsed other forums on similar problems it seems like there may be a problem with the CRON program setting--whatever that is; I'm not someone with a programmer's background or knowledge. If anyone can illuminate me on this subject, that I may explain it to our support staff (who are Japanese speakers and not too comfortable browsing through these discussions in English), I would appreciate it very much.

by John Andrewartha -

Hi William,

To answer the CRON question.  CRON is a Unix system daemon that can call other programs to do repetitive tasks.

If you OS is a BSD then as root execute the following;

crontab - u root -e

On a Linux system execute sudo crontab -u root -e

A editor will pop up into which you add the following;

For BSD add

0/15 * * * * /usr/bin/fetch -q http://your.domain.org/moodle/admin/cron.php

For Linux add

0/15 * * * * wget http://your.domain.org/moodle/admin/cron.php

Save and all should work.  Cron.php is the Moodle house keeper.

In the example the cron job is executed every 15 minutes, change to suit you needs.

I hope that translates OK for you.

In reply to John Andrewartha

by William Purcell -

Thank you for that hint, John. I will take it to our support staff and see if that solves the problem.

In reply to John Andrewartha

by Arjun Baliga -

I face the issue email notification

forum is not sending emails at all !

cron is working good .

no debug errors related  SMTP on development pages .

mailing is working good for  messaging and  assignment submission notifications

thanks in advance

arjun

by Robert Brenstein -
At first glance, it sounds that journal module is handled by cron before forum and some error occurs which stops cron before it gets to handle forum emails. Cron is just a program that automatically calls certain maintenance functions in Moodle. Check out the log for errors. If no problem is recorded, you may need to activate debugging. You may also check with folks at the journal forum. May be it is a known problem. Ah, mentioning your Moodle version may solicit better responses. The problem is mostly likely within the journal module.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by William Purcell -

Robert, thank you for the input. I will pass it on to our technical people and see if it gives them a lead.

Oh, we are currently using Ver. 1.9.5