mdl_log table - how big's yours and how do you manage it?

Re: mdl_log table - how big's yours and how do you manage it?

by steve miley -
Number of replies: 0

We use innodb table per file.  our log grew to 45 million records, and what I did recently was just delete all records where the id was less than 22 million.  That took about 10 minutes,  then i did an optimize table which took about 12 minutes.

What I had to worry about, was - is the free disk space enough to create the new table.  THe original mdl_log table file was 10 gigs.  After a successful optimize table, it dropped to about 5 gigs.  So it was critical that I have adequate space for that 5 gig table.  Once the optimize was done,  i had an extra 5 gigs of space on that file system.

I do this manually once a year or every 9 months or so.   I create and save a backup of the entire moodle database first, just to keep of copy of the logs in case I need them in the future. 

What i might do, is get the timestampe of the record in the middle and do a conversion @ 

http://www.onlineconversion.com/unix_time.htm

Or i might just do a delete from ... where timestamp <  a specific date 

I ALWAYS do this  on a test system before the production system so I know how long its going to take; and that I just then have to copy/paste the commands so I don't make a typo. 

I also ensure I have DOWNTIME for moodle during this process, I don't want anything writing to the logs. 

I don't have automated pruning of that table done.    

The other file you have to worry about is the grade_grades_history table.

it is the 2nd largest growing table in moodle. 

My suggestions would be - 

1. manually do these actions every certain 6 months or year. 

2. do these steps on a test server first

3. depending upon how much free disk space you have on your db server, will dictate how large you can let it grow.

4. if you have a good mysql dba, I would highly recommend using innodb  file per table config.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)