General plugins

Lesson objectives - new Moodle block

Davo
Lesson objectives - new Moodle block
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

I've just released a new 'Lesson Objectives' block for Moodle, that allows you to display the objectives for the current lesson in the side bar (you can enter a timetable, linked to groups, so it knows which list of objectives to display to each student).

You can also enlarge the objectives list, to show from the front of a class and tick-off each objective as it is completed in the lesson. Students can click on a link to view all the objectives, one week at a time, in order to review the lesson progression.

More details & download here: http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=4692

You can also find it on GitHub here: https://github.com/davosmith/moodle-objectives (which is useful if the modules & plugins entry is ever awaiting re-approval, after an update).

Please let me know of any problems or suggestions for improvement.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of William Mair
Re: Lesson objectives - new Moodle block

Davo,

I like it, but there is a problem with it.

When you set the times in the timetable, the objectives times are 1 hour later (I'd hazard a guess something to do with being BST now rather than GMT).

Are you aware of this?

Thanks

Davo

I'd not noticed that - I'll have a look into it (but will have to wait until I've replaced my desktop PC, with my code & test server on it, as it has just died on me sad  )

Davo

I've now checked in an updated version of this plugin that (hopefully) fixes the problem you were having with the times not matching (as well as a few other tweaks and improvements).

Picture of William Mair

Davo,

I have removed the old block, deleted the folder, bounced my apache and mysql, recreated the folder and clicked on notifications but I get a message

Block Objectives : Self test failed

at the top of my test site Admin page.

I'm new to Moodle and guessed this was the correct way to replace the existing block from forum's I've read. Have I missed a step out anywhere? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Davo

This probably means you have the wrong version of the plugin.

Look in the README.txt file - does the version in it (Moodle 1.9 / Moodle 2.0) match the Moodle server you are running?

If that doesn't help, then let me know which server you are running and I'll look into it in more detail.

Picture of William Mair

Sorted thanks, my stupidity.

I'll check it out tomorrow and see if problem still exists.

Cheers

Picture of William Mair

Davo,

Works grand now, thanks.

Picture of Barrak Saud

Hello everyone,

I have installed the objectives plugin successfully (moodle 2.0.2+). I started editing timings and writing lesson objectives for two weeks (present and a week ahead). The only thing I and my students got is:

No lesson/objectives at the moment     sad

Advice please!!thoughtful

Thanks,

Barrak

Davo
Silly question, but I assume you have entered a lesson for the date & time you tried this? When I get a chance, I'll add some code to display the current time beside the 'no objectives' message, which will help to solve problems. Davo

Davo

Barrak,

I've uploaded a new version, which now shows the current time (in brackets) after the 'no lesson objectives' message.

This should help to figure out why the objectives are not displaying.

Picture of Barrak Saud

That's great. I will download again and try it now.

Thanks,

Barrak

Picture of Barrak Saud

Updating the objectives was successfull. Now it is showing the time. I recognized that there is a 9-hour difference between my local time (GMT+4:00) and the time shows in the lesson objectives block!!

my time was 7:05 PM while the time showing in the block is 10:05 AM

Please advice...

Cheers,

Barrak

Davo

The honest answer is that I have no idea. I get the current time, convert it into a time of day using the 'getdate' and 'make_timestamp' functions and then use that to output onto the screen and look up the lesson objectives in the database.

I don't know why that would produce anything other than the correct time.

Picture of Barrak Saud

I tried to fix the problem but in vane..

Davo
Check you have the latest version of the block and that the timetable times are set correctly. After that, double-check your timezone settings, either you should be on server time, or your server should be GMT and you should be on your local time (this is to the best of my knowledge, as I am not a Moodle admin). If none of these work, then I'm afraid I've no further help to offer.

Aloha!

Hi Davo,

Use many of your blocks/modules and really like them. I reinstalled Lesson Objectives but still get the same issue. The class meets on Monday, but when I edit objectives I get the following message on my screen (see screen shot). Does this mean the objectives will not come up until Tuesday morning, not Monday?

My server settings are correct and I am using Moodle 2.0. Also, the time being shown in the block is not important to me, is there a way to delete it since it is incorrect anyways?

Thanks,
Jeff

Davo

Sorry for the slow reply.

If the time being shown in the block is not correct, then that implies that somewhere along the lines there is an incorrect setting (hiding it would just be masking an issue that is likely to be causing other problems). Timezone issues are always complicated and I've been through the code several times to make sure that I'm using the standard Moodle time functions (which should sort all the timezone issues out for me).

I'm afraid I really don't have any spare time at the moment to trail back through the code, so the only suggestion I can make is to see if you can find a PHP programmer with a bit of time on their hands to see if they can track down the problem (the plugin isn't all that complicated, so it should be fairly easy to understand).

Aloha!

Hello,

I am using Moodle 2.0.2 and have read all the entries but still am not able to get this block to work. I installed it in my public_html/blocks/objectives folder, extracted the zipped file, then at site admin clicked notifications. No mention of a new block being installed so I looked in the plugins, under blocks, but nothing shows up. Any ideas?

Jeff

Davo

My first guess is that the files are not in quite the right place.

On your Moodle server, you should have a folder with all the moodle files inside it, which should have sub-folders named: admin, auth, backup, blocks, blog, etc. (far too many to list here)

Inside the 'blocks' folder, you should have created an 'objectives' folder (<moodleroot>/blocks/objectives).

Inside the 'objectives' folder, you should have 4 sub-folders: backup, db, lang, pix; there should also be a number of files: block_objectives.php, edit.php, edit_form.php, etc.

Please could you confirm that the file layout is exactly as described above?

Aloha!

Hi Davo,

You were right, I did not have the files in the right place.

I did create a objectives folder in blocks, so I had /blocks/objectives but in that 'objectives' folder I uploaded the davo-smith moodle objectives zip file. So when upzipped I had /blocks/objectives/davo-smith moodle objectives folders and in the last one the sub-folders. This is why it was not being read correctly.

So I just zipped the sub-folders and uploaded them to the objectives folder and it works nicely!

Thanks for the quick response and help.

Jeff

Picture of peter winter

Hi Davo

Can the pupils tick the objectives as they attain them  or is it only the teacher.  I have logged in as a pupil and they cannot tick them.

Davo

The idea was for the teacher to tick them off, so that they can show how the lesson is progressing.

If you want students to check things off, you could always have a look at my 'checklist' plugin instead.

Picture of peter winter

Did not see this-have now added the bock and the mod. It looks superb I just need a month to work it out. Thankyou for your hard work.

Picture of Martin Griffiths

Like the block ALOT.

However is there a plan to develop the block so i could put on the front page so a student sees all the of the objectives for the week from all the courses they are enrolled in, without having to enter each course.

I could really 'sell' this to my staff if this is possible.

UNLESS.. it already does that i have not installed it correctly

Davo

Having a different version of the block on the front page is not something I'd considered.

It would not be impossible to do, but would require quite a bit of coding (it would have to identify all the courses the student is a member of, and the groups they are in for each course, before it could find the right objectives).

Unfortunately, I've just got a lot of development work on at the moment, so it'll be a while before I will have time to do something like this.

I was about to suggest that you added a tracker.moodle.org issue for it, but there isn't yet a tracker category for this block. Please could you add it to the 'package: checklist' module tracker list, make it clear that it is really for the 'lesson objective block' and I'll look at it when I next have time (probably in the autumn).

Picture of Martin Griffiths

Forgive the numptiness, but how do i add it to the tracker?

Davo

Visit tracker.moodle.org (you'll need to sign up for an account, if you haven't done so already).

Click on 'create issue' on the top-right. Choose, 'Non-core contrib' and 'New feature'. Fill in the details asked for (you can now select 'block: lesson objectives' from the list, as it was added earlier today).

You should then get an email if I update the issue.

Picture of Geoffrey Rowland
Plugin developers

Hi Davo

Just noticed a small typo in /db/install.xml in Build: 2012020700

On line 40

REFTABLE="objectives_timetable"

should be

REFTABLE="block_objectives_timetable"

Davo

@Geoffrey - thanks for that, I'll fix it as soon as I next boot up my dev box.

Picture of anita bankar

I am using Moodle 2.9,I want from lesson objective block student/taher can navigate to actual scorm content/activities included in Lesson objective.