Fatal error: Call to undefined function: raise_memory_limit() in /home/covenofe/public_html/college/backup/restore.php on line 98

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: raise_memory_limit() in /home/covenofe/public_html/college/backup/restore.php on line 98

by Athena Winchester -
Number of replies: 9
How do I raise memory limit?  I don't have a .htaccess in my main moodle directory and I don't know how to make one.  Is a .htaccess file just text that should have this in the line (php_value memory_limit "16M")?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Athena Winchester

Re: Fatal error: Call to undefined function: raise_memory_limit() in /home/covenofe/public_html/college/backup/restore.php on line 98

by Penny Leach -
raise_memory_limit was a function that was added in moodle 1.4.3 - if you're getting undefined function errors it sounds like you've upgraded recently but have an incomplete upgrade - that function lives in lib/moodlelib.php. Maybe try upgrading that file with cvs?
In reply to Penny Leach

Re: Fatal error: Call to undefined function: raise_memory_limit() in /home/covenofe/public_html/college/backup/restore.php on line 98

by Athena Winchester -

Where in lib/moodlelib.php should I change it?  CVS?  I don't know anything about CVS.  Can anyone help me here?  Sorry for being so blonde!  sad

by Penny Leach -
Ok, what you need to do is backup all the files in your moodle install, and move them out completely of the way.

Download moodle again from moodle.org/download, unzip it into wherever it should be, then copy ONLY the following files from your backup into the new installation:

config.php
themes/yourcustomtheme/*

I hope you have configured your dataroot to be outside of your wwwroot, if that is the case, you don't need to touch the contents of your dataroot.

If you have configured your dataroot to be inside your wwwroot (which is bad), you'll need to copy the contents of that directory back in again.

Leave ALL the other files alone. That should sort out your problems.

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Rev. Lady Athena,

Make a file called htaccess.txt using notepage or another text editor.
Include the one line
php_value memory_limit "16M"

upload it to your server, in the moodle directory.

change the name of the file (usually possible in most ftp programs with a right click menu option) to .htaccess

Not all ISPs allow you to create your own .htaccess.

Tim

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Athena Winchester -
Ok I did that, named it .htaccess and now I don't see it.  Does that mean it was successful?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Your several reports all point to the same thing: you have a mix of files from different Moodle versions ... you should move them all and put in a fresh set of 1.4.3 files only.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Athena Winchester -
I did that as you suggested, pointed it at my database I was using for the older version and went through the upgrade process.  Am I not supposed to use the old database?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Athena Winchester -
How do I do that without losing all the files to the classes I already have up there?

by Penny Leach -
You mean files that you have uploaded? They are stored in your dataroot directory, which *should* be outside your dirroot.

Or maybe you mean all the course content? That's all stored in the database, it won't be affected by putting the new code there.

Say you have /home/covenofe/public_html/college as your dirroot (which is where you have all the moodle code)

and, something like /home/covenofe/moodle_data configured to be your dataroot.

(These are configured in config.php as $CFG->dirroot and $CFG->dataroot respectively)

You LEAVE /home/covenofe/moodle_data completely alone.

Backup /home/covenofe/public_html/college and unzip the latest version of moodle into where it was.

Copy back config.php and your theme directory into /home/covenofe/public_html/college/config.php and /home/covenofe/public_html/college/themes/*

Visit http://yoursite.com/yourmoodledirectory/admin/index.php with your browser. Any required upgrades will take place.

If your dataroot is inside
/home/covenofe/public_html/college, say something like /home/covenofe/public_html/college/moodle_data, then you'll need to copy that back across as well when you copy back config.php and your themes directory.

Hope that helps.
Penny