Moodle 2.0 Legacy Files

Moodle 2.0 Legacy Files

by Nancy K Hoke -
Number of replies: 2

Greetings - first thank you so much to everyone who contributes to Moodle and makes this incredible work - I find you amazing. 

We have only been in Moodle 1.9.9 for one semester.  Currently - as I work with the faculty (we have about 60 courses) they have been using Moodle to upload files.  If we install Moodle 2.0 this summer will each course have a legacy file with the documents and images they have uploaded in the legacy file?  Is there a best practice I should provide them over the summer - as they return in the fall and begin their courses in Moodle 2.0 in File Management? Bottom line should I begin to prepare them to just upload their documents again in 2.0 - is that the better path to lead them down? 

As always - thank you for your help and guidance. 

Nancy K. Hoke

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nancy K Hoke

Re: Moodle 2.0 Legacy Files

by Peter Ruthven-Stuart -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Nancy,

In February we upgraded from 1.9 to 2, and have just started the new academic year in Japan, so I have recently been learning about the wonders of the new file system.

> If we install Moodle 2.0 this summer will each course have a legacy file with the documents and images they have uploaded in the legacy file?

After upgrading from 1.9 to 2, Course file areas remain and can continue to be used, but are renamed to Legacy course files. In courses created after the upgrade there are no Course files areas. However, this 'old' feature can be reactivated or enabled: click here to learn how. However, this is not recommended. So, if your colleagues reuse an old and upgraded course, they don't need to upload files again, they'll still be there in the Legacy course files area. However, once they start using a brand new course, they'll have to re-upload files.

> Is there a best practice I should provide them over the summer ...

I imagine that for large institutions, an external repository is probably 'best practice'. Click here for a recent discussion about this. However, in my case, there are only 10 or so teachers using our Moodle system, so I am trying to encourage them to use the 'Private Files area'. The advantage of this 'repository' is that teachers can manage all their files within Moodle (which is what they are used to), and all files in the private files area can be accessed from any course by the teachers, something that could not be done with the 1.9 course files directory.

I was hoping to use external repositories like Google Docs or DropBox. However, as far as I know, at the moment it is not possible to configure the Dropbox repository for multiple users: see moodle docs about this.  I have linked our Moodle to DropBox and was able to access my DropBox directory without any problems. Very neat I thought, but then discovered colleagues could not access their own DropBox directories. The only way to make this work at the moment is to create a new DropBox account and give all my Moodle colleague access to it.

We also experimented with the File System repository. However, this quickly went by the wayside when teachers discovered that they'd have to use a different system to upload files to that repository: i.e. ftp or file-sharing on our Mac network.

So I think the simple answer to your question re File Management Best Practice is that it depends on the number of teachers accessing the Moodle system, their technical expertise, and above all their willingness to try something different when they feel that the old system (Course files) worked just fine. Hope this helps. It'll be interesting to hear what you end up doing.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Peter Ruthven-Stuart

Re: Moodle 2.0 Legacy Files

by Nancy K Hoke -

Peter - thank you so much -  this post and your other post provides me with a much clearer picture and the information I need to make the best decision for our institution.  I cannot thank you enough - for taking the time to write out a thoughtful and informative response.

We are a new university and just moving into a blended learning course design.  We are growing rapidly - we will more than double our current faculty numbers in Fall 2011!.  So - knowing the number of new fauclty and that we have many faculty who are new to Moodle and blended learning - we have decided to wait on Moodle 2.0.  We are also using a few of the modules which are not currently working in 2.0.  So I think it is best that we wait (I would love to have the new HTML editor with spell check) - and make our first priority getting Moodle to link and communicate with our Banner system.

Thank you again - Nancy K.