Can I copy a Database with it's content to another course?

Can I copy a Database with it's content to another course?

by Jonathan Konrad -
Number of replies: 11

Each time I import a database activity from one course into another I get an empty database. Yes, it has all of the fields, but it does not contain any entries.

Is there a simple way to copy a database and all of it's content into another course?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jonathan Konrad

Re: Can I copy a Database with it's content to another course?

by Itamar Tzadok -

The problem with straightforward copying is that entry authors may not be participants in the new course. The standard way to copy the activity and its content is the following:

1. Create a preset of the database.
2. Export the entries to CSV or Excell.
3. Create a new database activity in the other course.
4. Apply the preset to the new activity.
5. Upload the entries from the CSV.

This does not preserve original entry authors but rather you will be the author of all the entries in the new activity (which is fine if you where the author of the entries in the original activity).

There may be a patch somewhere for what you want but you need to search for it.

hth smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Jonathan Konrad -

Ok. This sort of works. However, one of the fields was file field where people uploaded MS Word files. The export/import does not copy these. Do you know of any complete export/import scripts? I can not seem to find any.

by Itamar Tzadok -

Uploaded files are stored in moodledata in a designated folder per activity per user. Afaict there's no easy way or interfaced way to download all (1.9; things may be different in 2.0). smile

by Steven A -

I wonder if it would be possible manually back up the original course, keeping only the database that you want, and then restoring (adding) it to the new course.  Of course this would create all of the original user accounts for each respective database entry, which may not be desirable.  Just a thought.  smile

In reply to Steven A

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Steven,

Some time ago I read something in one of the Moodle forums about anonymizing forum posts in order to archive discussions. If the same procedure could also be applied to the database activity module, restoring a database would be possible without recreating all user accounts of the original course. Just a thought.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by Itamar Tzadok -

I'm looking into that in my forthcoming database++ plugin. smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by David Emmett -

I am wondering if someone can help? I run >50 problem based learning groups - I would like to preload a set of text scenario triggers for each group to edit - I think the template is the way to go just not sure how to do it.

I have tried to add the triggers under "all participants" but in the group areas students can only see the text not edit or add to it.

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

Dave

In reply to David Emmett

by Steven A -

Hi Dave,

Have you tried changing permissions to allow students to manage entries?  Also try adding the triggers to the specific groups.  This may seem to create a lot of duplication, but I believe students can only edit entries that have been added to their specific group (i.e. not "all participants).  Select the group first, then add the trigger.

In reply to David Emmett

by Itamar Tzadok -

I'm not sure I understand what you want to do but it seems like the wiki module may be closer to what you need than this module. smile

In reply to David Emmett

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Hi Dave

this scenario will be better covered by Moodle 2.0. After export/import the links to the files are restored again because they are not part of the course file area if you use them from your personal file area.

ralf