I know that I am a "novice" Moodler. However, I would like to make a humble request for the creation of a "Usability Forum". This has been suggested by Moodler Brian Koontz recently and by others previously.
Both Brian Koontz and Audun Hauge have come up with inventive ways to simplify and speed up Moodle use [that is, lessen the clicks]. Right now a lot of their important work is somewhat buried in the Developers Forum.
Creating a Usability Forum would:
- Encourage those interested in Moodle usability and/or with usability ideas to post them in a specific area and receive email from posts. This would allow them to keep abreast of what is going on in the Moodle usability arena. This will lead to a better interchange of ideas.
- Allow MoodleDevelopers to interact more directly with non-tech Moodlers in a less intimidating atmosphere than the Developers Forum.
- Provide a meeting place for usability developers so their threads and posts do not get lost in the Developers Forum, therefore, allowing for quicker development of improved usability features.
- Allow quicker access to Moodle usability issues by Moodlers.
- Provide potential Moodlers with quicker and more complete access to usability information to help them in their decision process on deciding on whether to use Moodle or not.
Feature proposal: Modify dates from one page
A script for editing course-layout
Copying resources/lessons etc between courses
Copying labels from other courses
A toy for Xmas (editing layout, copying stuff into course)
layout editor for version 1.5
Activities linking in meantime for Moodle 1.4
Flowcharting tool: Any interest?
Regulates the rights for groups in a course: Beta .1
Many Moodlers are interested in these usability issues and have created code, ideas and input into it. To name a few,
Brian Koontz, Audun Hauge, Bernard Boucher, Teemu Sumi, Leonhard Küllinger, Michael Penney, N Hansen, Michelle Ricketts, Christian Glameyer, Darren Smith, Sigurdur Jonsson, Alim Beveridge, Andrew Fisher, David Le Blanc, Jeff Wood, Mark Stevens, Jan Dierckx, Alim Beveridge, Darren Smith,Ger Tielemans, Timothy Takemoto, Marc Dastous, Thomas Robb, Przemyslaw Stencel, Chris Byrnes, etc. and of course W Page.
I understand that one of the uses of MoodleBugs is to handle feature requests, but it does not notify Moodlers of features others have requested or allow for a real fluid forum like dissussion, that is, it does not really lend itself to a full constructionist based format.
I also have a usability issue I will be posting about.
Please give us weary a Discussion Home.
Thank you in advance for your evaluation of this request.