Uploading Power point presentations

Uploading Power point presentations

by Brandy Hines -
Number of replies: 6

I am an administrator tryign to upload a power point to my lesson.  I have followed all the instructions and can't get it t o post.  My associate tried on his end, and got it to load, but not inthe format that it was orignially created as.  Any help on this matter would be great.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brandy Hines

Re: Uploading Power point presentations

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. Can you confirm first of all that you are using the Moodle lesson module ? And also - when you say "upload a powerpoint" do you mean you are trying to import the powerpoint slides into your Moodle lesson?  (Sorry for what might sound like an odd question,  but you've posted in the Lesson module forum and I just wanted to ensure you didn't simply mean you were trying to upload a Powerpoint as a resource on your Moodle course page using "add a resource")

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Brandy Hines -

I am creating a lesson, and I want to import a power point for it...and every time I try to import it, it says it can't find the file, or I haven't chosen one, which I have. This whole thing is just not very user friendly.  and I'm very frustrated.  I have done everything the help button has said, convertedit to a web page, zipped the folder only, and nothing.

In reply to Brandy Hines

by Brandy Hines -

So then I tried just creating a branch table...no clue what that is, and copy and pasting the slide show information intothe branch tables, all it shows is my title, then a button with allthe  other information...I want it to look as close to my PPT. slide show as I can if I can't get a ppt lesson to import.

In reply to Brandy Hines

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Well.. if you do a search on the forums there have been numerous problems trying to import Powerpoints into Moodle lessons - I remember I managed it with PPT 2003 but not 2007 and frankly if you are following the instructions correctly and it still isn't working properly for you I would not tear too much hair out - I would try to think of an alternative. How about... saving your slides as pngs (one of the powerpoint options) and then inserting them to a branch table as a png? At least that way you would get your lesson to look like your slideshow. Does your lesson have questions in it as well as the powerpoint? (otherwise you could just convert the ppt to flash in iSpring free and display it that way)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Germán Valero -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Indeed, it is cumbersom to import a ZIP file of an HTML folder from a PowerPoint presentation, and it will often fail if:

there are transition effects, sounds, videos, bullets, fancy fonts, objects, etc... or, if the file is not coded as UTF8 in languages other than english.

Also, the page title in the PowerPoint slide will be transformed into a page title for the lesson page, and it will not show up in the lesson page itself (odd).

BUT, it is a very fast way to upload large amounts of text and images from existing PowerPoint files into a MOODLE lesson, in both versions 1.9.x and 2.0.2

In my University, many teachers already have a large collection of PowerPoint files and they do not want to re-create then for a MOODLE lesson. They would very much prefer to recycle the text and images... smile

Nowadays, we usually convert the powerpoint into PDF, and we use Adobe presenter (in Adobe 9 pro) to include the lecturer voice narration, which makes the final PDF file a self-running, self-advancing, sound-including presentation, which does not require the student to have Flash installed. The student loves it, the lecturer loves it, and it is less expensive than the articulate presenter .

In reply to Brandy Hines

by ben reynolds -

Hi Brandy,

Is there a reason why you are putting a power point in the lesson module? In general, I would think that the ppt *is* the lesson. So, unless you need branch tables and all that (sounds like you don't), you would be better off just

1. course administration > files > upload > copy link

2. course home page > turn editing on > Add a resource > Link to a file or web site

The issues with ppts are they are huge, they require a viewer, and they're clunky. The easiest way to avoid all that is to import to Open Office and export as flash. That works very well as long as you do not have narration or lots of fancy animations.