Newbie...any suggestions?

Newbie...any suggestions?

by Kelsey Thompson -
Number of replies: 2

Hi all!

I'm new to moodle and I was just wondering if any had suggestions to share. It seems like a cool site to use with teaching as that is what I plan on doing in the near future. Any suggestions as to how to incorporate this site into my teaching plans would be great!

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kelsey Thompson

Re: Newbie...any suggestions?

by Mark Hilliard -

Kelsey,

There is so much to Moodle that it can be ovewhelming.

A simple process we learned to follow with our Moodle training is to teach teachers to first do only the basics with Moodle, such as upload course essentials, like syllabus, work, resources, etc. and try Moodle with traditional teaching in a "blended" model.  Some time later ( maybe weeks, or more) we introduce more interactive parts of Moodle such a discussions, glossary, quizzes, etc.  and let staff / students gradually utilize this functionality and make moodle more/more interactive.   This avoids overwhelming staff and students with too much functionality and avoids un-realisitc expectations and even burnout from trying to do too much too soon.   "less" is often "more" valuable when exploring a tool as rich as Moodle.  Hope I didn't mis-interpret your question.

Mark Hilliard

Minneapolis, MN USA

In reply to Kelsey Thompson

Re: Newbie...any suggestions?

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

There are a few books which I've found fantastic in using Moodle - they are aimed at 1.9 rather than Moodle 2, but many of the hints and tips are still great, even if the exact details are slightly different in some cases.

The best of the bunch for me has been Mary Cooch's

Moodle for Teaching 7-14 Year Olds - Beginner's Guide

although there are many others to choose from if you look a the Books and Manuals section of this site.

Richard