Top 100 Universities in the US

Top 100 Universities in the US

by Mark Allen -
Number of replies: 13

Can anyone name a top 100 university in the US that has completely migrated to Moodle, or uses it within a college?  Thank you!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Allen

Re: Top 100 Universities in the US

by Ben Campbell -

We have been using Moodle exclusively in the University of Florida College of Education for about 5 years. We have also integrated it with WordPress, Kaltura, and Elgg into a seamless interface, although we won't roll out the new Moodle skin until the end of our semester. Soon we will have 1 Nav bar to rule them all cool

Off the top of my head, you should also look into San Francisco State University, Louisiana State University, and the University of Minnesota. They're all largely - or entirely - Moodle schools.

Cheers!

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Ben Campbell

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Introducing my new best friend...Ben!!!! Oh please can you let us know how it was done... please!!!! Although, WordPress and Elgg covers a lot of similar gound... how about MediaWiki and Mahara, (without creating a Mahoodle). I am arguing all the time that this is the very kind of intersecting technology we really should be using rather than relying upon outdated and restrictive commercial software.

In reply to Ben Campbell

by Juliano Magalhães -

Ben, can you tel us some more about your integration with Wordpress? It is login integration or more things are integrated?

In reply to Juliano Magalhães

by Ben Campbell -

Thanks for the encourgament, folks. Our approach was somewhat context specific, but I think it can apply in a lot of cases. At UF we use Shibboleth authentication for just about everything, so most of the SSO for us is handled by the central IT group at the university.

We represent a College of Education and really seek to embrace the idea that the biggest selling point for our institution is the actual stuff that goes on inside the institution. Why should outsiders looking in have to go elsewhere to see what's going on? So we tried to select best-of-breed open source applications to serve a 5-pronged mission:

1. Marketing - Obviously "in these economic times" we need to do everything we can to market what we do and provide the informational content our users are seeking. WordPress is rapidly becoming the king of easily manageable content, and our college needed a new website, so we migrated 1200+ pages into a completely new information architecture that is easily updateable by content experts.
  2. Formal Learning - We pay our salaries by students attending programs in online courses. We offer about 20 different fully online degrees in 7 specializations for grad students, and offer a platform for blended learning through Moodle. Currently we have about 2500 active users in our system, and in 5 years have accumulated over 11000 user accounts.
  3. Informal Learning - We chose Elgg as a platform for social networking, in hopes it would provide an infrastructure for eportfolios and learning outside of the formal course shell. Our developers find it to be easily malleable and its architecture make it easy for further development.
  4. Navigation - We wrapped all of the above under a single navigation scheme that provides users in our system, as well as external researchers and prospective students, a window into pretty much everything that goes on in our college.
  5. Media Integration - We have been integrated with Elluminate for years, but plan to run away when Blackboard takes over. We are looking at Big Blue Button, and have been running it on a dev server for a few months now. We also use Kaltura for media hosting, and hope to integrate all the interactive components of Kaltura into our system soon.

The big goal now is to try and de-couple what we have done from the unviversity infrastructure and deploy our system, dubbed Purlieu, as a GPL product. We might still be aiming too high...but it's a lot more fun that way.

Cheers!

In reply to Juliano Magalhães

by Steve Clay -

I'm the lead programmer on the College of Education Moodle/Elgg/WP integration. I can see Ben through glass!

Currently the login integration is based on a campus-wide Shibboleth auth system, using Moodle's auth/shibboleth plugin and one I wrote for Elgg. WordPress is also shibboleth, but it's currently reserved for staff maintenance of college content.

We have a unified theme across Moodle/WP/Elgg (or did until very recently--Moodle will get our recently updated theme soon), and beyond that we're taking small steps to integrate the pieces more thoroughly. E.g. we store the last course visited in via cookie and offer links back to it while navigating Elgg (and hopefully soon, WP).

There's a lot of work still to do and some big plans.

In reply to Mark Allen

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
The caption brought me here.

Now my ignorant question: What difference the "Top 100 Universities in the US" would make?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Peter Seaman -

Seems to me that many people who manage technology at US colleges and universities want reassurance that others are using Moodle successfully before adopting it for use by their own institution.  The fascinating - and crucial - question for Moodle adoption seems to be this:  Am I confident that Moodle will work?  For people who know technology, their answer seems to be, "I can see the source code and judge Moodle to be sound."  But for people who don't know technology, they have no way of judging except to ask what others' experiences are.  And of course there are plenty of vendors of commercial technology with slick salespeople ready to provide reassurance - and someone external to blame when things go wrong.

I personally have had great experience with the Moodle partners in the US (Remote-Learner especially), but it seems as though even that level of support isn't enough for some institutions.

In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Visvanath, your comment/question:

Now my ignorant question: What difference the "Top 100 Universities in the US" would make?

Is interesting but not "ignorant". A perfectly valid and reasonable question. For me, to answer would be, "not a lot", but there is another level here that also needs to be expanded upon. BTW, this is an observation, please do not go reading too much into it anyone, it is not an anti-US rant it is a simple interpretation of observable phenomenon with which no-one has to agree.

We have had a continuous diet of American movies for the last 80 years, and appalling (I think so) television shows for nearly 60 years, in this country. In them, they extoll the virtues of American life, while leaving out a lot of the realities. How many of those movies and television shows have depicted places like Harvard, Yale, MIT, UCLA and so on as being the most desireable academic destinations of aspiring leaders. Let us ignore the non-US institutions of Oxford, Cambridge, the Sorbonne, the PolyTechnic, Heidelburg and how many other European institutions, they are not American so therefore are they less worthy? (And in this I am displaying my lack of knowledge of non-European institutes that should make this list as well.) This kind of cultural propoganda has to come out, have an influence, somewhere. The constant promotion of these institutes might make them places students want to go from all over the world, which enhances their prestige, allows them to garnish reputations, but it does not mean they are better run than any other institute, does not mean they are actually achieving better results. (If you concentrate 19,500 people [at Harvard now] into any academic centre and throw a lot of money at them, they will, by virtue of their numbers develop something, anything that will have an impact on the world. In most cases, if you select people properly, or fortuitously, you will not need anywhere near that number.) It is the "desirability" factor that makes these places "leaders" not their achievements.

For these reasons, I suspect, that if the top 100 US institutes were using Moodle, then no commercial product would even get a review anywhere in the world. Even if that is unfair, that is a reality, an observation of how we do things. "If they are doing it, it must be great" is a lazy and usually inappropriate technique for assessing methodologies - but it is what we do.

My opinion is that I listen to Marcus de Sautoy on Maths and a number of others on a range of topics in those television documentaries produced by the Open University (and their connection to Moodle), I suggest that the OU is doing far more for world education, at least, than any of the top 100 US institutes...smile

And in Australia, I understand that another of our Universities is going over to Moodle right now. All educational levels in this country have connections, in various degrees with Moodle, and now I do not think there are not too many left in the University sector that do not use Moodle. But then, Australian Universities do not rank that highly on attendence "desireability" scales.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
>> Now my ignorant question: What difference the "Top 100 Universities in the US" would make?

> Is interesting but not "ignorant". A perfectly valid and reasonable question. For me, to answer would be, "not a lot", but there is another level here that also needs to be expanded upon. [...]

Thanks for your "observation", which happen to be a series of observations..

For me it all unfold to a long polito-psycho-techno tale, in which case I prefer to remain ignorant.
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rgs/alice-III.html
smile
In reply to Mark Allen

by Scot Alexander -

I don't know how you define top 100, but many major ground based schools are expanding their online efforts, as well as offering degree programs completely online through moodle. 

King College offers a Bachelor of Business Administration degree completely online with moodle here:

http://online.king.edu/online-degree-programs/bachelor-of-business-administration/

Also, Notre Dame College is offering a RN to BSN degree -- 100% internet based with moodle here: 

http://online.notredamecollege.edu/programs/rn-to-bsn/