Installation without the help of admin/index.php

Installation without the help of admin/index.php

by Matt Edminster -
Number of replies: 16

I'm having trouble installing the book module because of a glitch in my moodle installation.

I've had continuing difficulty accessing my admin/index.php page since installing (still haven't tracked down the problem - get a generic 500 error message) and have simply worked around it until now. My site is fully functional EXCEPT that I cannot access this page.

This means that moodle has no way of recognizing the need to install the new book module. Can I work around this hangup in the automated installation with manual processes?

What tasks does /admin accomplish and is it possible for me to accomplish those on my own?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Edminster

Re: Installation without the help of admin/index.php

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers

Hi Matt,

You are probably getting this error because of permissions.  Can you check to see that your admin/index.php file permissions are set to 755.

In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Matt Edminster -

Tried that (checked again just now to make sure) and no change.

I followed all install steps and added the appropriate tables (according to the mysql.sql file in the /db/ folder) in my database manually but moodle still does not seem to recognize the module. What other connections need to be made?

I didn't want to divert attention from this discussion to an installation problem. If there's a way to get around the issue as per my first post, I'm happy to do that and pursue the long term solution in a more appropriate forum.

So if you want to talk exclusively about the book module, disregard what follows.

Having said that, if any one here would like to take a crack at the admin/index.php problem I'd be much obliged.

Here's the data I've compiled so far:

1. The installation initially tripped between posting the front page settings and creating the admin id. Checking normal server logs indicated a 500 514 error just previous to the failure. I simply signed on as a new user and then added myself as an administrator in the database. The site seems to work fine save for a consistent failure of admin/index.php to load.
  2. My service provider is globat.com. They have some limitations in terms of what they allow us to configure though I'm not familiar with all of the settings or their significance. I have seen another globat user posting this same issue so I imagine there may be something server side that is creating the problem.
  3. The installation is in a subdirectory and so the admin folder is not on the root level. I've also run phpnuke on the root and the admin folder there never gave me trouble. This makes me think that the issue is not the name of the admin folder. (I've renamed it and adjusted the config file to make sure).

More from my last discussion on this topic can be found here:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=16400

Again, I've added this here simply in case you think you might be able to help with the root problem. If not, happy problem solving elsewhere!

PS - Chardelle, I dig your flash book layout. Very cool.

by Athena Winchester -
Flash book layout??  Where???

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi!

I would recommend new clean install, because your database may be in an inconsistent state. It may be very complicated to solve you current problem - it should be much faster/easier to reinstall and solve the installation problem first.

skodak
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Matt Edminster -

Petr,

The trouble is, I tried multiple installs before and the process always tripped at this stage. After quite a few failures, I decided to try the work around I listed above, which helped in the short run.

I was satisfied with the installation (just avoided admin/) until I tried to upload the book module.

Any idea what the original problem may be? If its an issue with my provider, what questions would it be good to ask them or what information should I request?

Thanks for your help,

Matt

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Your moodle is not installed properly, I am afraid nobody will help you here. You should start with the installation again. Erase all your files, drop moodle database and start again with the latest stable 1.4.3+ nightly. If your installation does not work, there is a problem with your server. Moodle has some specific requirements that many hosting companies do not satisfy.

skodak
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Matt Edminster -
Is there a list of these requirements that I can show to my hosting service's help team? That might be a better way to approach the installation problem rather than attempting to guess what the server allows/disallows from here.

by Petr Skoda -
Moodle runs fine on default PHP configuration, it is easier to ask what is disallowed on your server wink

Or post here your phpinfo (do not forget to remove private info such as session ID...)
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Matt Edminster -

Thanks Petr,

I'll check up on those details. Would it be best for me to move this discussion to another forum (like "installation problems" or should I return to post the details here?

Matt

by Petr Skoda -
First send me result of your phpinfo() by email, maybe I could help you wink

If you can not access it from moodle/admin/phpinfo.php, create php script with the following content, upload to server and display it in browser:

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

In reply to Petr Skoda

by Matt Edminster -

Just fired off that email.

Thanks for your help Petr. Much appreciated.

Matt

by Petr Skoda -
I did checked your phpinfo and found no problems.

You can also try to rename admin dir:
  1. rename admin directory to myadmin
  2. edit config.php, change $CFG->admin = 'admin'; to $CFG->admin = 'myadmin';

Did you use the installation wizard or did you edit config.php in editor?
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Matt Edminster -

Petr,

I tried an install last night with the latest version. Edited the config myself (using editplus text editor). Got stuck at the same spot once again: posting the site changes (front page settings). Then a 500 error message.

Tried again this morning but I renamed the admin folder and used the config wizard instead. At the same 'bad step' there was a pause, then a "continue" page came up (a step further than ever before), but when I clicked and it tried to load admin/index.php I got the error message again.

Are there other server settings outside of the necessary php settings that I should look into with the Globat people?

Matt

by Petr Skoda -
I do not know what to try next, 500 error message is not given by Moodle, the problem must be elsewhere (PHP, Apache, ...)

You will have to ask the Globat people.

sorry sad
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Matt Edminster -

Thanks alot for your help Petr,

At least we can say it's not a php problem. I'll keep on it and check in with the Globat folk.

I appreciate you're looking into this with me and I look forward to getting to the point where I can someday use your very helpful looking module!

haha smile

Matt