Grade if fail

Grade if fail

by David Goodman -
Number of replies: 7

Hi I'm new to moodle, my university is using 1.9. I have set up my categories in a weighted mean of grades  and my grading items. I have set up a parent category and three grading items. I would like the total of the category to show fail if one of the grading item is a fail. Can this be done? Any help is really aprecieated. Thanks.

In reply to David Goodman

Re: Grade if fail

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

You may be better off redirectign this question to the Gradebook forum. Tim Hunt is the person who can tell you exactly what you can do or not do, if the Moodle Docs cannot help.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Not me guv', but the good folks in the gradebook forum will be able to help.

by Itamar Tzadok -

It is not entirely clear what you want to do. Thus for instance Pass/Fail may be a mere indication on the actual grade (if you set in the grade item/category grade to pass) or teh actual grade (if you use a custom scale). Could you give more details and also post a screen shot? smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by David Goodman -

That is my class. I've set up the course in three periods. Each period I grade three weighted parameters: 1)Asistencia 10%, 2)Tarea 10%, 3)Participacion 10%, 4)Examen 70%. My minimum passing grade is 60. Scale is 0 to 100. I would like to know if the system would automatically change the period total to a failing grade if the student fails the examen category.

What has happened right now is that they fail the exam and the category total show the weighted average, usually giving them a passing grade eventhough they failed the exam. In the image I have manually edited the total to 50, I would like to know if the system can do this on it's own. Thanks.

by Itamar Tzadok -

Yes it can. One possible way is by formulas and since this is a fairly simple grading scheme a fairly simple formula in the category total should do the trick. The formula could look something like the following:

=((([[Asistencia]|*0.1)+([[Tarea]|*0.1)+([[Participacion]|*0.1)+([[Examen]|*0.7))*round(([[Examen]|/100)-0.1,0))+([[Examen]|*(1-round(([[Examen]|/100)-0.1,0))

How does it work?

This part is the actual weight grade (call it WA):

(([[Asistencia]|*0.1)+([[Tarea]|*0.1)+([[Participacion]|*0.1)+([[Examen]|*0.7))

This part is a flag, 0 if Examen is <60 and 1 otherwise (call it f):

round(([[Examen]|/100)-0.1,0)

And let also E designate the exam grade.

The formula may be symbolized as:

(WA * f) + (E * (1 - f))

So if the exam grade is 60 or higher, f = 1 and the category total will show the calculated grade WA:

(WA * 1) + (E * (1 - 1)) = WA + (E * 0) = WA

If the exam grade is lower than 60, f = 0, and the category total will show the exam grade.

(WA * 0) + (E * (1 - 0)) = 0 + (E * 1) = E

If when the exam is failed you want some fixed grade instead of the exam grade, say 50, simply put instead of the E (that is, instead of the corresponding [[Examen]| in the actual formula) the number 50.

(WA * 0) + (50 * (1 - 0)) = 0 + (50 * 1) = 50

Since you have 9 grade items each of which will have a unique id and the formula in the category total of each section should refer to the respetive ids.

Make sure round and square bracketing is intact.

hth smile