Moodle 2.1 will require PHP 5.3 or later

Moodle 2.1 will require PHP 5.3 or later

napisao/la Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 37
Slika Core developers Slika Documentation writers Slika Moodle HQ Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Plugin developers Slika Testers

Just a heads-up for everyone, we resolved yesterday that Moodle 2.1 will *require* PHP 5.3 as a minimum.

1) Because PHP 5.2.x is no longer supported by php.net

2) So that developers can start relying on some of the new features introduced in PHP 5.3.  (Note, we still recommend 2.1 fixes be written in a way that's easy to port back to 2.0)

Prosjek ocjena: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Moodle 2.1 will require PHP 5.3 or later

napisao/la Katerina Nemcova -

Hi there,

Is there a way to 'get around' this? I have just tried to upgrade to Moodle 2.1 but my hosting provider runs PHP 5.2.14 and they blantly refuse to upgrade to 5.3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Katerina

In reply to Katerina Nemcova

napisao/la Alexander Corrochano -

Hi Karerina.

I have the same problem with my hosting provider. Over my own responsability and never in a production site, after download and untar moodle 2.1 package, I had edit lib/customcheckslib.php and rewrite the line 59:

if (version_compare(phpversion(), '5.3.3') < 0) {

to

if (version_compare(phpversion(), '5.2.0') < 0) {

Remind!!! only if you are very sure if you need it and you can change your hosting plan with php 5.3.3 version.

In reply to Alexander Corrochano

napisao/la Petr Skoda -
Slika Core developers Slika Documentation writers Slika Peer reviewers Slika Plugin developers
Hello,

PHP 5.3.x is required, sorry, there is no way around it. If you start hacking around the requirements you will sooner or later hit fatal errors or other unexpected problems.

Please do not waste your time trying to tweak the code, you can either keep using Moodle 2.0.x or find a different hosting company.

Petr

Edit: oops, sorry for the version typo
In reply to Petr Skoda

napisao/la Katerina Nemcova -

Hi,

Thanks - then it looks like I will be staying with 2.0.3. Hosting provider refused to update PHP as apparently it messes up their cPanel but we may change to someone else next year when our contract expires.

Katerina

In reply to Katerina Nemcova

napisao/la Colin Fraser -
Slika Documentation writers Slika Testers

There is also another issue. I run four different Moodle versions privately, ie on my local network but now with v2.1 I will drop that to 3. To change the network, currently a peer-to-peer using Windows XP, (shudder at the antiquity I know but there it is), is a major undertaking, for which I have no time for right now. I am going to use a Linux, probably Suse, for my server, and run 2 virtual machines, XP and Win 7 Pro, to generate 3 different environments for my Moodles. This long winded introduction is, essentially, a commentary on the retrograde nature of the technology that a lot of people are using - even companies and government departments. (I know one here has just graduated, about 2 -3 years ago, from Word Perfect to MS-Office - talk about social inertia.)

I am "consulting" one company who is running this same setup, and I am urging them to spend the money to update - which they will not until their server is about to collapse completely. This is not miserly, but it is that simple old idea that if they are spending a lot of money on technology, then they want to get some value from it - or at least value uintil depreciation allows them to write it off tax wise. As one person put to me, the technology is always changing, and if they can keep their systems stable enough, and if their need does not dramatically change, then should they upgrade for the sake of upgrading? This is not a major company btw, but a family concern, one of the few left in the world I suspect. (They do good business and run a POS program that to me look like it was written in Tubo Pascal.. hahahaaa!! More likely a Visual C++ with a very simple non-graphical UI) OK, here is the crux, the recent VC9 compilations of PHP have been downoaded as has the latest Apache 2.2.19 Win32 SSL, (from Apache Lounge, not Apache Foundation binaries I have been told) and the IT guy there cannot seem to get the PHP to work for their Administration network. He has the latest VC9 runtimes, and has tried a number of combinations, but cannot get them to work in the XP environment. I have been able to get v2.0.x running using additional dlls in PHP5.2.17, but not v2.1. I too have tried to upgrade the PHP, and have failed miserably. I am going to try this hack Petr...maybe if it works I can at least give them some idea that they will only be able hang on to their older infrastructure for another year or so but not much longer. What else can I do?            

In reply to Colin Fraser

napisao/la Petr Skoda -
Slika Core developers Slika Documentation writers Slika Peer reviewers Slika Plugin developers
Hello Colin,

please do not waste your time thinking about running Moodle 2.1.x on PHP 5.2.x, it is really going to break more and more with each new release. If you are stuck with ancient OS or PHP please use latest Moodle 1.9.x or Moodle 2.0.x - they are fully supported.

Petr
In reply to Petr Skoda

Thanks Petr, I did try it and I should have realized that it wasn't going to work. After all, you said so..smiješak

And after I wrote the above, then went to make a nice cup of tea, I thought that if I was to actually try and install PHP 5.3.6 properly, and not just play with it, then it would work. So I did, it did, and now it is all good. All I needed was those free radicals in the tea and it clears the brain. So in the morning, I am making a phone call and getting someone else out of bed to do the same thing.

BTW, I must thank you for doing such a good job on the Book module, I think it runs much faster in 2.x than it did in 1.9... Love it!!!!

Cheers

In reply to Petr Skoda

napisao/la Tim Hunt -
Slika Core developers Slika Documentation writers Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Peer reviewers Slika Plugin developers

Two things I know won't work with PHP 5.2:

admin/qbehaviours.php

question/type/calculated/question.php

In reply to Colin Fraser

napisao/la ben reynolds -

Just sharing my concern for the life-change this company will go through when they move from XP to Windows 8. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

In reply to ben reynolds

Ben, I am serious about doing this Linux with virtual machines. If I have it right then it will mean they will have the security and stability of a Linux network and not loose the functionality or accumulated expertise of the Dark Side. I do not know enough about it yet... but I am hoping that it can be done so they will not even realize they have a fundamentally altered working environment. Maybe they will not even have to spend a lot of money on software they will never really own.  

In reply to Colin Fraser

napisao/la ben reynolds -

Interesting idea. I'm curious to see how it works out, and what implications it might have for others in similar fixes.

In reply to ben reynolds

Unfortunately this is not a well paying thing, and it will be a little time consuming, so it is not a high priority for me. It is going to be a while before I can even attempt it anyway. I am planning to keep a diary of it, just so that if I need to revisit it I will be able to follow what I was thinking at the time. A secondary benefit was that if I can get it to work, then there would be no reason I could not put it onto the Moodle Docs for others to emulate, if that is a solution they could use. So probably around the new year, look out for it... Cheers..

napisao/la Rosario Carcò -

This is a NO GO criterion for me, because I must use an official Linux distribution like SUSE SLES 11 SP1. And I just got PHP 5.2.14 last month, just enough to install our first Moodle 2.03 Test-Server.

Until I get the desired 5.3.2 our production 1.9.12+ Moodle site must continue to run and can not be upgraded/migrated to 2.x

I wonder if this will take at least another year, until Novell releases the needed PHP version.

I think you should respect also such criteria and slow down development a little bit when it affects core elements like the DB, Web-Server, PHP, etc. and check what's around on the market and take in account also that we system administrators are mostly conservative when systems run reliably.

Rosario

In reply to Rosario Carcò

napisao/la Geoffrey Rowland -
Slika Plugin developers

If you are willing to go with a Red Hat-flavour Linux distribution (RHEL, CentOS or Fedora), then the 3rd-party Remi repository provides up-to-date PHP (currently 5.3.7), PHP modules, MySQL (currently 5.5.14) etc. Simple to install and update via Yum/Yumex package managers too.

http://blog.famillecollet.com/pages/Config-en

Suspect similar repos exist for Debian/Ubuntu Linux distributions.

Not quite an 'official' distribution, but pretty close. I have used the Remi packagess for a number of years as a platform for Moodle (currently 1.9 and 2.1) and Mahara (currently 1.4) without major issues.

In reply to Geoffrey Rowland

napisao/la Petr Skoda -
Hello,

PHP 5.3.x is now in both RHEL 6.x and RHEL 5.x, see http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html-single/5.6_Release_Notes/index.html#id1763833

The SLES 11 unsupported packages can be found at https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=php5&project=server:php

According to DistroWatch.com SLES is that last major Linux distribution that does not have PHP 5.3.x, even OS X has an up-to-date PHP 5.3.x version now.

SLES 12 is supposed to be released in 2013...
In reply to Petr Skoda

I considered using the Open Suse Packages as a last resort. And do not know about Novell's plan to release SLES 11 SP 2 or/and SP 3 or whether they plan to go directly to SLES 12.

Rosario

napisao/la Andrea Bicciolo -

PHP 5.3.3 is available as standard package in current Debian 6 'Squeeze' distro. On Debian 5 'Lenny' it is possible to use the dotdeb.org repository.

napisao/la Hubert Chathi -

Moodle 2.0.x only requires PHP 5.2.8.  It is only Moodle 2.1 that requires PHP 5.3.2.

In reply to Hubert Chathi

napisao/la Bob Puffer -

IMO 2.0x isn't a real release -- just a chimera put out there so we could say Moodle 2.0 is finally out.  How do you call software a release if its used so little in production systems?  I guess it provides a defense to discontinue support for 1.9, which has gotten minimal coding support for the past year anyway.   Unwise to bite the hand that feeds you, at least until you've found another hand that is ready with sustenance. 

In reply to Bob Puffer

napisao/la Tim Hunt -
Slika Core developers Slika Documentation writers Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Peer reviewers Slika Plugin developers

That last sentence, who was that directed at? Yourself? namiguje

Recent 2.0 deployment stats at http://www.slideshare.net/moodler/moodle-keynote-july-2011-8597385, slide 19.

In reply to Tim Hunt

napisao/la Bob Puffer -

I must say that I thought about that last statement being construed as self-directed and perhaps it could rightfully be.  But... as I've said in previous postings I don't think stating that the king has no clothes is being negative and actually biting the hand that feeds me.  I  would assert that I'm actually showing great devotion to Moodle and the open source process in particular by bringing to the forefront a topic that deserves more complete discussion.  The slide from the show merely proves my point, assuming some? of those 2.0 sites registered aren't in production, adoption a year after introduction is pretty sparse and yet a year from now, the most popular, most stable version of Moodle ever delivered will have its support "officially" discontinued (see note above as to when discontinuance actually occurred)... and that after a heated discussion to get it extended.  

Everybody talks about open source and community involvement but I see it as an irrefutable fact that the core of the LMS, i.e., the file system in 2.0 was developed behind the scenes with little community involvement and is the single biggest obstacle to adoption by existing users.

Seems like the more telling slide is on the Moodle stats site where the closer we get to 2.0 release we see Moodle adoption flatlining and then beginning to trail off.  I desparately would want it go the other way and for Moodle to rediscover its original spirit of providing an educational tool designed (and in some cases, written) by educators.

I'm involved with an investment advisory group who call me occasionally regarding questions in the LMS and surrounding markets.  The exchange of information is blind so I don't know who these folks are but looking over the activities in the LMS marketplace recently I'd say that somebody's concluded that the future of commercial LMS software is looking pretty rosy.  Again, I wish that wasn't the case.

In reply to Bob Puffer

mmm Bob, is this a little cynical? At one level it is easy to make such a comment, and realistically, you could also say the same thing about what Microsoft did with their beta Windows 95. However, to me, it is involving the community in the development of the program and is that not what the basic idea of Open Source really is? Unlike Microsoft though, Moodle.org has not time bombed their initial releases and withdrawn their support from them. Not only that, the inestimable Marc Grober did make the comment that it is more likely that no-one would move over to v2 until it was considerably more stable and he was expecting it to be about 18-24 months from original release before there would be a mass exodus from v1.9. (AFAIK, so far he has been more accurate than anyone else - and good luck to Marc, where ever he is...smiješak .)

So no, I don't see that, and I am not making such comments by being ultra-defensive of a beloved product, intolerant of criticism, or an Open-source evangelical, but, hopefully, from the more thoughful position of wanting to be positively involved in the development process. Oh, don't worry, I am not here to be popular, so if I annoy or upset someone with an opinion, then tough, get over it - I don't really give a damn...smiješak      

In reply to Colin Fraser

napisao/la Bob Puffer -

Just to clarify, Windows 95, while hardly more than a beta product had an enormous adoption rate.  A good acquaintance of mine (who also happened to be the CEO of our company) was heavily leveraged in MS at the time and had me spend hours watching sales stats to see if his "hunch" on the Mac-killer would hold true.  For a good long time, it did.

In reply to Bob Puffer

The slides show that most production systems still run 1.9.x which is normal, I think.

And it is normal that we system admins are rather conservative with systems that run 7x24 without major incidents, before migrating to something new.

So I think that Bob's and my point of view are only to be considered as a matter of time, not a criticism of 2.x per se. Moodle 2.x needs some more time and I am willing to concede it. I exposed my sysadmin's point of view here:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=174702

So until I have full acquaintance with 2.x and until we have told new tricks to old dogs, I mean until we have trained our teachers to correctly use the new file system, I continue to use our 1.9 production system.

The only problem is to tell people WHY I cannot migrate to 2.x for the moment being.

I did not register our Moodle 2.x server as I consider it a test server. But it is fully functional including Backups to tapes and we are starting with some courses to offer some teachers the possibility to work with it.

I think my strategy to offer both systems at the same time, leaving the "official" production system untouched and declaring the new a test-platform is a good compromise to circumvent most problems during the next 12 months or so.

Rosario

In reply to Bob Puffer

napisao/la Bryan Williams -

IMO 2.0x isn't a real release -- just a chimera put out there so we could say Moodle 2.0 is finally out.

Gosh Bob, is it just hot there in Iowa these days! For 7 years  we have seen nothing but really helpful comments you've posted. Is this a fair comment to those developers who have busted their backsides (many for free) to get M2 out the door. Is it perfect, certainly not. Is it a real advancement over 1.9, absolutely.

How about if we all roll up our sleeves and do what we can to help the developers make needed improvements so this is the best ever Moodle.  And, next time you're at a Moot and encounter a Moodle developer or contributor, buy them a cold one and maybe say thanks.

In reply to Bryan Williams

napisao/la Bob Puffer -

Hi Brian.  Thanks for the compliment.  I hope at some point folks will see these postings as also being helpful comments.  This whole thing reminds me of the discussion around the pre-1.95 gradebook where everyone was seen as being negative until Martin D chimed in and said the "gradebook is broken".  I'd sure like to hear some influential folks chime in and admit that "the 2.x file system is broken".  Its brokenness causes me to dispute your assertion that 2.x is somehow better than 1.9 in that I don't care how much new functionality you add, whether it works perfectly or has a few bugs to iron out... if the most basic, most-used portion of an LMS has been made substantially more difficult to use, no real improvement has occurred. 

In reply to Bob Puffer

Now this, Bob,:

if the most basic, most-used portion of an LMS has been made substantially more difficult to use, no real improvement has occurred.

is easy to accept, and I suggest perhaps you do not go far enough. Agreed, the new file handling process is considerably more difficult and gains nothing, in fact it is a loss. I suspected that the "assumption of knowledge" syndrome hit the developers and has not been reassesed. The issue is not one of use, but ease of use for the person who has never seen it before, something far too often overlooked. In this, I think we can actually gain something here from understanding the Dark Side. 

Microsoft has adopted a simplistic view of how users use their products and have made them as simple as possible. They understand that too many people know too little, do not care too much, they just want something that is easy, thet they do not have to think about, that does most of what they want it to do. Even "experts" in Microsoft products are usually pretty dim about how it works and have no interest in finding out. I do not suggest Moodle does the same thing, but if the interface looked more like a "traditional" web upload dialog it would be a lot easier for people to make a switch.        

napisao/la Bill Swisher -

Don't blame Novell.  Do it yourself.  Just go to http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/server:/php/SLE_11/i586/ and download the repositories your self and upgrade.  I did it on my Novell SUSE 11 SP1 server and it took at most 10 minutes to download and upgrade to PHP 5.3.8 and to ungrade Moode to 2.1.1+ on this server.

AND it  will work.

In reply to Bill Swisher

No blaming at all. I respect Novell's plans to release a stable OS. I just saw, that there is a new special distribution of SLES 11 SP1 for VMware. I used the normal distro 2009 when this one was not released and I had to revert back on my physical Moodle server because the VM got stuck and hanged all the time (see my posts here). But now I have to give it another try.

Besides that I can  not decide on my own whether to install the open suse PHP 5.3.x, we have more than 4'800 courses and more than 16'000 users, I have bosses and so on. Everything must go it's correct upgrade path, no time and no space and no acceptance for experimental behaviour on my side.

Rosario

OK, SLES 11 SP 2 both versions, for physical and VMware servers, offer now PHP53. I posted some remarks in the novell SLES 11 Upgrade forums, if you need some advices.

With that we are now ready to run Moodle 2.2x and higher. Rosario

napisao/la Nate Baxley -

I can understand the need to up the requirements.  PHP 5.3 was a big step from 5.2, and Moodle 2 is obviously a big step from 1.9.  That being said, is there some thought being given to holding the requirement steady for a while?  I'm not against progress, but with a system as critical as the LMS, we have to run on more supported installs and they are sometimes not so quick to move to a new release.  That plus the extra factor of testing the new PHP version in addition to the new Moodle version. 

5.3, ok, but I hope the minimum requirement is locked in for a bit now.

In reply to Nate Baxley

napisao/la Petr Skoda -
It depends on the official support from PHP developers (see https://wiki.php.net/rfc/releaseprocess) and major OS distributions. There does not seem to be anything special in PHP 5.4, looks like they are shortening release cycles only. I would expect that the PHP 6 adoption is going to be very slow.

My personal guess is that any version of Moodle released before the end of 2014 will still run on PHP 5.3.x. I would recommend the latest 5.x because it gets many bug fixes in each release.

Petr
In reply to Petr Skoda

napisao/la Iñaki Arenaza -

There does not seem to be anything special in PHP 5.4

For those using LDAP auth or LDAP enrolment with big sets of users, looks like PHP 5.4 will finally bring LDAP paged support (it "only" took 4 years from my initial patch namiguje), which is certainly special.

This, in conjunction with the patch from Jéróme Charaoui (it will need a couple of fixes as some function names have changed in the integration process), will allow big sites to better cope with large user bases.

Saludos. Iñaki.

napisao/la Matt Bury -
Slika Plugin developers

Hi,

Does this mean that the Moodle core team have been hard at work updating the code that throws deprecation warnings in PHP 5.3?