Moddle for Managing a Training Department ?

Re: Moddle for Managing a Training Department ?

by Mary Rydesky -
Number of replies: 0

Great question and one that has absorbed my energies for years!  I do use it for the combined trainings (F2F and distance deliveered AND informal courses/communities of interest.)

But the quest for good stats/reports is at issue.  Having used comercial LMSs which have prepackaged options for many of these, I am stymied by Moodle (and surprised this element was not more robust from the very beginning, to be truthful.)

I too want reports.  How many enrollments per time frame Moodle wide?  Category wide?  Course specific?  Then of those, how many completions?  How many drops?  Next category: a good transcript per learner, with parent access to the manager/department director who mentors their learning plan.  And of course, the flag that says a learner needs to take the compliance course A or B or C by specific date X or Y or Z in order to stay on the job/retain licensure. Being able to report that an organization or a department within it is 80% current on all staff taking the annual compliance course A or B or C is a demand that I wish I could easily fill.  Managers should be able to run this at any time and monitor their own results.

And I have seen this feature in other LMS systems, as early as during the early 1990s.

So my reply is not truly an answer so much as a commiseration.  Now having said that - writing reports is possible.  I have talked to several people about this - takes a deep knowledge in scripting skills (PHP, MySql) and a strong mathematical mind!