A Nice Web CSS Editor Page in Textpattern

A Nice Web CSS Editor Page in Textpattern

by Urs Hunkler -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers

Hi,

recently I started working with the CMS Textpattern. It offers an integrated CSS webform. This could be the Moodle way too to go for easy CSS editing, couldn't it?

moodle_css_in_textpattern_s.png

You can click on the image to see a bigger one in a new tab/window.

Urs

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Urs Hunkler

Re: A Nice Web CSS Editor Page in Textpattern

by David Scotson -

I'm a bit skeptical of Textpattern's CSS editor. For anyone who actually understands CSS I can't see it being an improvement over their desktop tools (whether that means vi or CSSEdit or Dreamweaver) followed by a file upload.

On the other hand, for absolute beginners, who just want the basic theme in their 'corporate' colour-scheme plus a customised logo this is way overkill. The current ability to upload logo.jpg and have it appear automatically combined with the previously discussed 'colour sets' (where a small number, say between 1 and 4, colours can be specified via a web interface and inserted--or 'cascaded'-- into the CSS).

There is also the possibility of leaving these choices to user preference, to aid those with impaired vision (amongst others), but, without wanting to sound like a broken record, this will be all be impossible if the styles continue to be defined anywhere else but in CSS.

In reply to David Scotson

by Urs Hunkler -
Picture of Core developers

Hi David,

as you say it doesn't make much sense to take it over to Moodle identically. I liked the interface and I am shure it is useful for small and fast changes. Used as a filter to show up some basic adjustments and to hide the complex CSS file/s in the background I see a chance to get rid off the need to use php within the CSS file/s.

By the way David, did you get the e-mail I sent you privately? I didn't hear from you and I wonder, if you got it. Could you please be so kind to give me a hint? Thank you very much.

Urs

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by David Scotson -

Yes I did, apologies for the delay in responding. I'm still catching up on a backlog of mail from the holiday period.

In reply to David Scotson

by Miles Tillinger -
I use textpattern for my personal page www.streetdaddy.com and the CSS is very fragile. I can use the textpattern textarea to edit the CSS ok, but if I try to edit it in the advanced editor it screws up my CSS completely. I didn't bother to investigate what it screwed up but the editor didn't look all that useful anyway...

I agree that a CSS webform could provide low-end users the ability to make formatting changes to the interface, but in a lot of cases the syntax might be a bit to much of a learning curve. If you did know the syntax well enough then you'd probably prefer to edit CSS in a good desktop app and rely on a basic textarea on a webform to edit the CSS inline in an emergency.

Making formatting changes seems better off being more intuitive options, like a form with:

- page background image : |__________| |Browse|
- position on page : o Left o Right o Top o Bottom
- background color : (insert color palette here)
- etc. and let Moodle write the CSS definition,

rather than expecting a newbie to enter something like 'background: #FFF url("/imgs/picture.gif") no-repeat top left;' without making a syntactical error...