Need advice re 1.9 vs 2.0

Need advice re 1.9 vs 2.0

by Kimber Warden -
Number of replies: 4

My school began a migration from a commercial LMS to Moodle 1.9 a couple of years ago. I developed a theme, researched and installed several 3rd party modules and created quite a few courses I'm proud of. But then funding for the migration ran out, and we abandoned the project, sticking with the commercial LMS.

We regained funding this year, after the release of 2.0. I'm in the middle of migrating our 1.9 courses to 2.0, and preparing to create many more. It initially seemed logical to me to use 2.0, since that's clearly where the future lies. However, since the vast majority of blocks and activities aren't compatible with 2.0, and many of those that claim to be, aren't yet foolproof, I'm frustrated by my lack of options and the lower level of support available from the wider Moodle community (the majority of whom seem to still be using 1.9.) The support from the 2.0 experts has been awesome, there are just fewer of those folks, and I can rarely search the forums to find questions similar to mine which have already been answered.

So, my dilemma is: Do I stick it out with 2.0 and wait for the eventual added functionalities from the many fabulous module developers? Or do I return to course writing in 1.9, and delay the upgrade to 2.0 for a year or two, when more modules have caught up?

Does anyone have any advice?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kimber Warden

Re: Need advice re 1.9 vs 2.0

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. I understand your frustrations entirely - but (to paraphrase the words of  UK TV catchphrase - you've started so you should finish) In other words, as you have made the move to 2.0 and are putting courses on 2.0 you might as well just hang on in there smile

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Actually, Kimber, there is really not much of a dilemma here. One of the issues that we all face when starting something like this is that so many people have to be trained in the new product, just to get some useful content into place if for no other reason. So you have some time.

The next part of this is more disturbing really. One issue is that many developers of third party blocks no longer maintain them. So while they work for v1.9, they are not going to be upgraded for v2.0 unless someone else takes it up. Petr Skoda has finished what is for me the most important of these mods, the book module and it is available and works well in my test environment.

The last consideration is the first, I suspect going back to v1.9 and getting everyone used to that and then hitting them in a year or two with a radically new product is not a good strategy. I am thinking of the course developers here, not users. There are so many differences in how courses are created, file handling and so on, that you are just going to upset them.

So keep it going the way you are, but just slow the time table a little. Make sure you have enough content to keep everyone happy and aim for a specific date. I would seriously suggest here that you make a clean break, end of semester or year is the most obvious, which ever suits your campus best. If you have the content, then one lot out, the other in, and there should be minimal disruption.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Derek Chirnside -

What modules exactly are you missing?

There could be work arounds.

I agree: don't go back.

-Derek