manual link to two word entries in mdl 2.0

manual link to two word entries in mdl 2.0

by Britt Bassett -
Number of replies: 9

I can make a manual link to a single word with:

http://site.url/mod/glossary/view.php?id=13&show=oneword

However, I cannot figure out the magic to make a link to two word entries. I have tried these plus many more:

The two word concept I know is good. I can link to a single keyword to it, and I can search on the two words in the glossary search and find it.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Britt Bassett

Re: manual link to two word entries in mdl 2.0

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Britt,

I really do not understand what you are trying to do with "I can make a manual link to a single word..."thoughtful

In Moodle, glossary links are generated automatically/dynamically.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Guido Hornig -
Picture of Plugin developers

Not the word, the entry-ID (eid) needs to be there:

Example for course 5 and entry 47:

http://www.< your-moodle-domain >. org/mod/glossary/showentry.php?courseid=5&eid=47&displayformat=dictionary

This link was generated auomaticly with filter for glossar links on.

To find out the ID: switch on statusline in your browser and put the mouse on the edit icon for a glossary entry.

In reply to Guido Hornig

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Guido,

Does this mean you understand what the OP (Britt) wants to do with "manual linking"?

Joseph

In reply to Guido Hornig

by Britt Bassett -

Thanks! Cumbersome, but that will do it.

By the way, where is the documentation for this kept? Seems like every time I try to enable another feature it requires extensive net searching for tiny tidbits, hacking, and trial and error - moodle 2 is very good, but surely all these features are not just all programmed without any documentation?

by Britt Bassett -

Auto-linking also auto-links into quizzes, which gives the answers to many of them rather than making the student think. Auto linking glossary items into quizzes is plain silly.

To put <nolink> around the hundreds of quiz locations in answers and questions is more than I have time for.

To selectively link to glossary item in html content is a painful compromise.

If there is a way to turn auto-linking on in all content, and off in quizzes, that would be the best. I cannot find any documentation on that. Hacking at the filter settings to set Glossary auto-linking off in each quiz has no effect.

In reply to Britt Bassett

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Britt,

1.- See this discussion: Automatic linking in quiz questions. PLease vote for MDL-24996 if you want that bug fixed and then you will have exactly the feature you want, to turn Glossary autolinks OFF in quizzes in Moodle 2.

2.- "Auto linking glossary items into quizzes is plain silly." If you use quizzes for testing students, yes. On the other hand, glossary links can help the student think, if they don't give away the solution to quiz questions, of course.

Joseph

by Britt Bassett -

I placed my vote; thanks for pointing that out. Hopefully this fix will be in next release.