Adding a Forum to the moodle front page with separate groups

Adding a Forum to the moodle front page with separate groups

by Jose Garcia -
Number of replies: 7

Hello,

I've been tasked to create a way to communicate individually with each parent of our school students. Here's how it's going to be used. In our school we have 61 students and we may want to contact each parent individually. I quickly realized the best way is to create a forum. Here's what I did. I added a "Forum" into the main page of our Moodle Site. I'm logged as an "administrator". The settings for the forum are:

Forum type: Standard for general use
Force everyone to be subscribed?: No
Read tracking on this forum? On

Group Mode: Separate Group

I notice that I don't have the option to create groups within the front page if I log as an administrator and if I'm working with a forum on the front page. I have attached a file showing with a red circle that groups can not be selected even when I subscribed people to the forum. Have you done this before? Hope you can help.

Forum

Regards

Jose

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jose Garcia

Re: Adding a Forum to the moodle front page with separate groups

by John Andrewartha -

Hi Jose,

You say main page.  Is that the page after login?  Moodle by default wont allow unauthenticated users to have any access to communications tools.   In my view it is risky to change that.

Why not create a course just for parents. That has a forum. You can add other stuff latter like a choice for doing a poll.   Parents are enroled in the parent lounge.   That beats the permissions problem.

Next step set up a parent role (see http://docs.moodle.org ) for details.  Tag parent to student.  Put the Mentee block in the parent lounge.

Parent can now see the child's grades and talk to you and each other.  A form of online parent association.

John

In reply to John Andrewartha

by Jose Garcia -

That's correct John, it's the main page. The page after login in. You are right though, the best approach here is to create a course just for parents. I did that now and will use the mentee block. I think this will work. Thanks for the feedback.

Regards

Jose

In reply to Jose Garcia

by Allen Ford -

Jose,

I pretty much use the Seperate Group mode for most on my courses.  It comes in really for a variety of  reasons, but the best is the ability to have a private forum for each of my students, or faculty peers who teach different sections of the same course using the same course site.   I hope what follows is helpful to you...  Note that creating a seperate course is not necessary here.

One way you can create a private forum for you and each parent, or in my case each student is as follows:

1. Start by creating a single group for each parent.
    • I name my private groups "Student name, Talk to Me..."
  2. Choose a name that makes sense to all
    • Be sure you add the parent (student) and yourself to the group.
    • Repeat this process as needed.
    • I use, "Talk to Me"
  3. Create the "Talk to Me" forum (pick a name that makes sense for you.
    • Adjust the settings as needed.
    • Be sure the visibility setting is "Show."
    • Save & Display the forum
  4. Verify forum Subscriptions
    • See top left side of forum window:
    • CLICK "Show/edit current subscribers"
    • Depending on your SEPERARTE Groups selection,  you may or may not see any subscribers!   
      • Change the Groups selection by using the drop down menu to select each parent group one at a time.
      • When you do this, you should see a list of subscribers or potential subscribers...namely you and the parent.
      • Add each as necessary.
      • Then select the next parent group, and repeat.
  5. Securing the privacy of the forum
    • UPDATE this Forum
    • Adjust the "Force everyone to be subscribed? Help with Force everyone to be subscribed? (new window)" setting to
      Subscriptions not allowed."
  6. TEST the forum...select one parent group and make a post, requesting an reply post.  Email another parent and ask if they received the post. Their responses should let you know if it works as intended. 

One final note.  You can use this forum to blast all subscribers to the  Talk To Me forum.  Their responses will be seen only by you.

Good luck.

+Allen

Tvvvvv

Add your Parent

Use your preferred forum settings, but be sure to select "Show" groups.

In reply to Allen Ford

by Jose Garcia -

Hi Allen,

Pretty whay you have stated below is what I will be doing. Thanks for the feedback. In the case where I select the Force everyone to be subscribed to "Yes" all parents will be subscribed to the forum which is what I intend.

Regards

Jose

In reply to Jose Garcia

by Jose Garcia -

I have created a course and within the course I setup a forum just like this one. Now, I created groups to use the separate groups feature. I have created a test account to test and simulate a parent login in and trying to contact me individually. Now, I can post a message on this forum because I've been assigned the "teacher" role. But if I log in with this test account I can't add any discussion topics. The test account has been assigned the student role. What are the correct settings for this forum? I would like for each parent to contact me individually. Hope you can help.

Regards

Jose Garcia

In reply to Jose Garcia

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You need to post a message in to each separate group (choose them from the dropdown) and then they will have the option of replying.