100 questions....

100 questions....

by Dan Trouten -
Number of replies: 10

No. I don't have 100 questions. A prof wants to set up a test on moodle with 100 questions!!! Can Moodle handle it?

Just fyi, I'm going through the books on Moodle and I posted on my Face Book that I have "a brain full of moodle". I look forward to the responses!!! I am brand new at moodle (but use Joomla!) and am a gardener so I am familiar with both book sections at Barnes and Noble. We have public school districts and major universities in our area using Moodle. Do they have any books on Moodle? NO.... Do they have books on growing illegal plants? Over a dozen.... What's wrong with this picture??? surprise

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Trouten

Re: 100 questions....

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Dan

To allow me to create quizzes quickly for Moodle, I use this: "Quiz authoring template for Microsoft Word" which is found at:
http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=578&filter=1

It allows me to use Ms Word 2003 upwards (Ms Word 2003/2007/2010) to create quizzes. The quiz questions are then exported to XML through the same Ms Word file, and once you are in Moodle, you can import the XML file into your quiz. To use Moodle's quiz module to create the 100 questions is too much tedious work, in my humble opinion.

I've created 60 question quizzes before, so 100 questions shouldn't be that tough. Randomised questions, with time limit, Moodle allows you to customise your quiz no problems. For a newbie, you'll probably want to grab hold of some books or material to learn up how to do this. All the best.

Frankie Kam
Melaka, Malaysia

P.S., maybe you can write a book entitled, "Moodle for Garderners and Landscapers". We don't have that one.

Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (1)
In reply to Dan Trouten

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I've created tests in Moodle with 100+ questions in the pool (and 100 questions displayed to students).  My recommendations

1. create them using GIFT or Aiken format which makes questions development much faster/easier.
  2. use the quiz page breaks to manage how many questions students see on a page (displaying "unlimited" might cause the quiz to load slowly
  3. using images, formulas or rich text in quiz questions will take much longer (simple T/F or MC question types work best)

Good luck!

Average of ratings: Cool (1)
In reply to Joseph Thibault

by William Hamilton -

Again, I have to go with Examview, extremely flexible on all fronts; can import into Moodle (with help from Moodle tech forum, some issues), but you can also use and do tests over the internet and email results back to you; you can have mass tests done on computers (with instant results) or use clickers with the same test bank and generate multiple versions of a test and even print out the different keys... and a few more...

In reply to Dan Trouten

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

A prof wants to set up a test on moodle with 100 questions

A 100-question test? This is pure madness.evil

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Frankie Kam -

Yes I agree. But perhaps there is method to his madness.

A 100 question quiz will be a more indicative of a student's knowledge say versus a 50 question quiz. Maybe most of the questions are True or False.

100 questions would be something like a 90 minute test me thinks.

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Tabitha Parker (was Roder) -

Madness to give the students 100 questions. Less mad if it is a pool of 100 questions and the students are just doing a random 20 questions from the pool, particularly if it is just formative.

In reply to Tabitha Parker (was Roder)

by Dan Trouten -

LOL!!! It's a practice test for a medical exam. 100 questions is the short version....

In reply to Dan Trouten

by Frankie Kam -

...what's the LONG version like?

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Dan Trouten -

Some medical tests for certification can be several hundred questions and take hours to complete. 100 questions is an easy test for the medical profession....

In reply to Dan Trouten

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

It's great to train future medical doctors to be able to answer hundreds or thousands of questions. wink

Next time I go to see my own doctor I'll try to ask him one hundred questions about my health. Not sure he doesn't kick me out long before I reach the 100 mark, though.tongueout

Dr. Joseph (PhD)