Ratings not working for Forums

Ratings not working for Forums

by Jack Riviere -
Number of replies: 14

I have read many pages of documentation on how to enable student ratings for forums but nothing seems to make them appear. I'm using Moodle 1.9.5. I've enable Ajax, enabled ratings in the Settings for the forum, and have overridden the permissions for Students in the forum to be able to Rate Posts.

Nothings seems to make the Ratings appear. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jack Riviere

Re: Ratings not working for Forums

by Jack Riviere -

I haven't heard anything in 9 days so I've unsubscribed from this forum since getting emails about every topic except the one I asked about makes no sense. However, if anyone has a possible solution to my forum problem, please email me at jriviere [at] scusd dot net.

Thanks

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jack Riviere

by David Barrett -

Hi, Jack

What exactly have you tried so far? By giving listing what you've tried to do we might have a better chance of deducing how you might be able to fix the problem.

Cheers!

smile

In reply to David Barrett

by Jack Riviere -

I can't recall since it was about 2 weeks ago. I remember following the advice from different posts that included enabling Ajax inside the site administration area, changing the site rules for forums, overriding permissions inside particualr forums for students, etc.

Jack

In reply to Jack Riviere

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I too am having the same problem. I am my own administrator, and so I am able to enable AJAX in the three places (forum module, appearance, and my profile). Doesn't work.

But here's some more interesting information. When I run Moodle on a hosted server or from a local (experimental) install on my PC, it works. It is only on my unix (CentOS) virtual server that it does not work. As I have looked around to see what is different (using Server|PHP Info), the only difference is that on my virtual servers, JSON is "disabled". That's it! I don't know what JSON is, nor do I know how to enable it on my CentOS virtual server. But it does seem to have something to do with java. If someone can tell me how, I can try it (if it appears safe to do so) and see if I am right.

Maybe the developers of Moodle assume that JSON will always be there. Can anyone provide any help about my idea?

I am attaching a graphic showing how JSON says it is enabled on my PC install, and this is missing on my virtual server. Thanks.

Attachment JSON.jpg
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Jack and Rick,

Neither of you have actually said that you've created a Scale. This has to be done first - through the Gradebook: Choose an action > Scales - View > Add a new scale.

Then you should be able to select an "Aggregate type" in the Forum settings. See below.

Cheers,

Glenys

Attachment screenshot_02.png
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Rick Jerz -

Glenys,

Yes, I am using a grading scale, so this is not the problem.

Could you go into your installation as I did and see if JSON is enabled?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Rick,

I'm afraid I've no idea what JSON is or where I can see if it's enabled or not.

However, I did a Google search for: "Moodle JSON" and there seem to be a number of problems with it. And there's this discussion about it.

Have you tried turning on the debugger to see what it tells you? (Site Admin > Server > Debugging)

HTH

Glenys

by Rick Jerz -

JSON can be found if you go to Server|PHP Info.  You will see a long list of information, sorted alphabetically.  Eventually you will see what I posted above.

I really don't know what JSON does, but this is the only difference that I have found between an installation where "Enable AJAX rating" works, and where it does not work.  On around four installations that I have tried, when JSON is enabled on the server, instant ratings works.  When it is not shown in PHP Info, the instant ratings does not work.

I don't think the debugger will work because there is never any error message.  The feature just doesn't work.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Glenys Hanson -

HI Rick,

But I thought that was the point of the debugger: to tell you why things don't work. I never understand what it tells me but there are kind people here that do.

JSON is enabled in my local instal.

Google found this: How to add / install JSON support to PHP on CentOS in 10 Steps

There are a lot of issues with JSON in the Tracker: http://tracker.moodle.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?

Maybe you should add another one?

Cheers,

Glenys

by Rick Jerz -

I don't think I would understand what it tells me either, not being a linux expert. Thanks for the link to installing JSON in CentOS. My only problem now is how confident I am in following these steps. I really don't want to disturb my production installation, if something go wrong.

I might add another issue in the Tracker and see if one of the technical experts can help.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Rick,

I should have said in my previous email: check the tracker issues that already exist to be sure yours isn't among them. Sometimes you find "patches" for problems there.

Cheers,

Glenys

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Jaztom Consultores -

Hello Rick:

I just installed json support for PHP and ratings with AJAX now works, so your guess is correct, without json AJAX forum ratings doesn't work.

If you need help with your linux installation maybe I can help, enabling json should be easy.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jaztom Consultores

by Rick Jerz -

When I originally made this post I was using moodle 1.9 .12. Since then I have upgraded my PHP, and also upgraded to moodle 2.1.1+.  I double checked and JSON was installed and on by default. As expected, forum ratings now work.

The documentation should mention that somewhere, but I couldn't find it.