Course Overview block in 2.0.1: Can't set to "content" (i.e. center) after deletion

Course Overview block in 2.0.1: Can't set to "content" (i.e. center) after deletion

by Aaron Batty -
Number of replies: 4

Hi folks.

I don't see this being discussed anywhere.

If a user deletes his Course Overview block on his My Home (My Moodle) page, there does not seem to be any way to get it back to the "content" (i.e. center) section.

Does anyone know how to get around this, or at least to reset that user's My Home settings to default?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Aaron Batty

Re: Course Overview block in 2.0.1: Can't set to "content" (i.e. center) after deletion

by Adam Landow -

I've just tried to replicate this problem, and have had trouble doing so...

Here's what I did:

1) Turned editing on, by clicking 'Customise this page'

2) Deleted the 'Course Overview' block

3) Added the block back- it turns up on the side like so:

4) Clicked the 'Move' icon, (little blue compass arrows) to start the move process: note the areas you can move the block to are highlighted with the dashed lines

5) Clicked the dashed lined box in the top centre of the page. The block moves to it's original position

I suppose that, to prevent this from happening in the first place, you could modify permissions relating to the blocks on the 'My Moodle' page: see http://docs.moodle.org/en/Capabilities/moodle/my:manageblocks for more details.

I realise this doesn't help with the question of how to reset a page, but it might help to prevent it from being needed to be reset in the first place smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Adam Landow

Re: Course Overview block in 2.0.1: Can't set to "content" (i.e. center) after deletion

by Aaron Batty -

Thanks a lot.

I turned off that permission the first time the issue came up, but I really wanted to restore that user's Course Overview.

The "compass" icon wasn't there; just the "up/down" icon. Since I didn't want to move it up or down, but sideways, I didn't actually click it. Silly me.

Anyway, it's back and I'm a happy camper. Thanks much.

In reply to Aaron Batty

by Adam Landow -

Ah- the 'Compass' icon must be a theme-specific image. Come to think if it: I've had this issue before- very confusing!

IAbout resetting things- In Moodle 2, an admin can do that by navigating to Site Administration->Users->Accounts->Browse List of Users-> then select the user.

When looking at the user's profile, there's a 'settings' block that shows up. In that block there's a 'login as' link- you can use that to fix stuff that the user broke in his profile.

Not as elegant as a 'reset' button, but should do the trick smile

In reply to Adam Landow

by Aaron Batty -

Yup. That's how I fixed it. I'd be lost without that button.

"The thing for moving the thing with words on it isn't working."

"Which thing?"

"The one at the top!"

"...of what?"

"You know, when you want to move the words?"

"Let me just log in as you and see what you're talking about."

--I'm sure you know the drill. wink