Can you assign the "Student" Role to the "Authenticated user" role

Can you assign the "Student" Role to the "Authenticated user" role

by mimi Smith -
Number of replies: 4

Hi All,

We set up moodle 2.0 to allow Email based registration. The business requirement is to let users register online and be able to participate in the Course. Users should also have access to our survey and be able to post blogs.

It's my understanding that any logged in user is given the Authenticated user role . Therefore I configured the following settings to allow self registered users to enroll in our course.

1- allow self_enrolment = yes

2- default role assignment = student

My question ..

1- How can I assign the student role to the Authenticated user role.

2- If question #1 is not doable, then how can I allow the Authenticated user to have access to survey, blogs, everything that students have.

Thank you,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to mimi Smith

Re: Can you assign the "Student" Role to the "Authenticated user" role

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

HI there. If I understand you correctly, you simply want logged in users to be able to enrol into a course and have the student role? That should happen automatically as you have it set up - so I don't think you need do anything different.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by mimi Smith -

Thank you for your reply.

In reply to mimi Smith

by Rhishikesh Patankar -

Hi

We are using moodle 2.6 but not allowing self enrolment.

My question ..

1. How can I assign student role to the Authenticated user role.

2. At the time of registering the student, we selected the role as student but these students do not appear in the list of Students enrolled.

In reply to Rhishikesh Patankar

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You do not want to add the student role to authenticated user as this is a system wide role and will have the effect of every user being a student in every course on the site.  

How are you enrolling students?  If using a csv file, you do not need to add the student role as it will default to that in the course that they are enrolled in.

It almost sounds like you are just adding them to the site but not adding them to specific courses?  Once enrolled in a course, they should show up as students in the enrolled users list and the participants list.