Is weekly/topics section move available?

Is weekly/topics section move available?

by Wes Matchett -
Number of replies: 19

I have found many forum discussions about moving sections beyond a single up/down and it seems that the ability exists using ajax.  However, I have not found secific instructions on how this is accomplished or if it is still avaialble in 2.0.  I have enabled ajax/javascript in admin and also set 'advanced web features' in my user profile, but I still can't find a way to drag&drop sections.

Am I still missing a setting to turn on?

I have also found the movement hack at Remove one week.  I'm hoping there is a more advanced tool than tweaking the URL.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wes Matchett

Re: Is weekly/topics section move available?

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Wes,

Is 'Enable AJAX course editing' enabled? in 'Site Administration -> Apperance -> AJAX and Javascript' and does the course format and theme you are using support it?

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Wes Matchett -

Yes, as I said above, I have enabled AJAX in admin.  I am trying to use both the weeks and the topisc course format.  I assume they do support ajax since they are the default formats, but I guess that is what I am asking.

In reply to Wes Matchett

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Wes,

Odd.  Works for me using both Chrome and IE in Moodle 2.0 (2.0.2+ (Build: 20110223)) with editing mode on.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Wes Matchett -

HOW does it work for you?  I have no idea what to drag.  Perhaps it is working here. As I said in my forst post I cannot find instructions on how the drag/drop works.  WHAT do I drag?

In reply to Wes Matchett

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

try this:

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Wes Matchett -

Aaah! Thank You!  I kept trying to us the up/odwn arrows on the right.  It works fine.

In reply to Wes Matchett

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Wes,

Sorry that I could not have been helpful.

Regards,

Gareth

by Heather P -

For info - it doesn't work with Moodle 2.4 and Chrome it keeps trying to put the section as a link inside another section, very annoying.

Works in IE 9 with Moodle 2.4 though.

In reply to Heather P

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Heather,

Odd.  Drag and drop moving is working for me in Chrome in Moodle 2.4.  Could you kindly say a little more about the problem you are experiencing and the theme etc.  A before / after screen shot would be helpful.

Kind regards,

Gareth

In reply to Heather P

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Heather - I've got a local install of Moodle 2.4 and topics move perfectly fine in Chrome.

Have you raised a bug report on http://tracker.moodle.org ?

If you open up the Chrome developer tools (Menu > Tools > Developer tools), you should be able to see if there are any Javascript errors. Copy & paste them here (or in the bug report) and someone should be able to figure out why it isn't working for you.

In reply to Davo Smith

by Heather P -

Hi

I turned the Chrome developer thing on and I can't see any java errors.

I can drag items in a topic box to new locations I just can't drag a topic box to a new topic box location I can only drag it into another topic box. All very weird.

I turned the Moodle debugging tool on and that produces nothing. I tried it in Standard theme as well just to be sure it wasn't this green one doing it.

I've got Chrome Version 25.0.1364.97 m

I tried to look what version of Java I have, but I'm  none the wiser now. I seem to have Java 7 Update 9, Java (TM) 6 Update 32, JavaFX 2.1.1

Maybe that is my issue - too much java! Going to investigate.

Thanks

In reply to Heather P

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Heather,

Java and Javascript are two completely different things.  To save you a lot of waisted time ignore the Java path.

In your description I think that drag and drop should only swap existing topic boxes.  Are you saying that you want to drag an existing topic box to the bottom to create a new topic?

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Heather P

by Natalie Denmeade -

This is happening on my computer too with Moodle 2.4. IE allows topics to dragged and dropped . In Chrome (Version 25.0.1364.152 m) I can pick up and drag and the indicator is a crossed out circle - meaning I can not drop it anywhere valid. In Firefox the icon indicates that the topic can only be 'dropped ' inside another topic, but doesn't - It just picks up the cross icon and drops it as a new image in a new tab.

I suppose it's only fair IE gets it right some of the time!

Gareth I switched out of collpased topic format to confirm that it wasn't causing this issue. When I set it back to collapsed topics  I have to set up all of the options again sad which I didn't write down anywhere... is it possible to save them for re-use?

In reply to Natalie Denmeade

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Natalie,

Very odd!  Not happening to me.  Is there any screen shots / screen capture that will illustrate the issue?

Thanks,

Gareth

In reply to Heather P

by A. T. Wyatt -

Greetings, Heather!

I have run into this problem, and we determined that it had to do with HP touchscreen drivers, not the browser.  It about drove me crazy, because drag and drop worked on my desktop computer/standard mouse, but not on my laptop which has a touch screen.  Every time I tried to move something, it would put in a link instead of moving the object.  Could you be having the same issue?

atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Judith Morgan -

I eventually worked out that this problem is caused by Smartboard services. Go to Services and turn it off, and the problem if fixed

In reply to Wes Matchett

by Wes Matchett -

Ok, I now know how to use AJAX and I am on to the next step.  I have copied the topics format and completed the changes for a new format.  In testing I found the drag&drop icon (pluse mark) doesn't display in the new format.  So I saved format.php and copied in a clean copy of topics/format.php.  The icon still doesn't show.  If I switch the course to the actual topics format the icon appears and drag works just fine.  I switch back to the new format (with an identical topics format.php) it fails.  So, it seems that there is something I must do to tell Moodle that this format supports AJAX.  Any ideas?

In reply to Wes Matchett

by Lisa Lane -

I discovered that in the Arialist theme, no arrows or AJAX hatch symbols show up for me (Mac, any browser, Moodle 2.3) - I have to switch back to unforced theme to see arrows.

In reply to Lisa Lane

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Lisa,

This therefore sounds like a theme issue.  Have you done a 'Purge All Caches' or made any tweaks?  I would suggest asking on the theme's forum.

Cheers,

Gareth