Any White paper or Research Study has developed?

Re: Any White paper or Research Study has developed?

by Colin Fraser -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

hahahahaaaa!!!!! What a great analysis Peter, congratulations on your perspicacity. (Always wanted to use that word in a sentence!!!) I must admit, I am too close to Moodle to see it, but what you have said rings pretty close to the mark.

And Gary,

"I'm afraid that I'm quite weary of the attitude that a critical evaluation of something is either unfair or without value unless the critic is prepared to contribute to the improvement of what is being evaluated. "

I guess that tells me doesn't it.  Obviously though I did not make myself clear, or perhaps what I was thinking was not what I posted. We each contribute to Moodle as we can. Many people do not contribute anything at all, for whatever their reason. Moodle does not ask, but it is in my heritage, my culture, my social perceptions, to do so - not on behalf of Moodle, obviously not, but for the people who use it now, will use it, or even for the product that may come at some time to replace Moodle. Not contributing does not invalidate your views in any way, but, to me, it means that you may be depriving someone of some ineffable quality in their learning that you could have brought them by applying the nature of your criticism to a remedy.

There is another issue too, which you touched on. Moodle is much too like too many other "friendly family of users" Open source projects. Playful puppies, all playing nicely together, but you ever seen the puppies turn on one they see as "weak" or "different". Their true heritage comes out, and it is obvious they are descendents of wolves. There are not enough Marcs here, daring to be different and strong enough to rebuff his assailants. I do not have the technical expertise to be a Marc, but you may. (Oh, Marc's contrariness, I suggest, may be making him one of the more important people to the future of Moodle, perhaps. Want to be a part of that?) If all you do is post remarks that make people think about what they are doing, then that too is a contribution, and far more valuable than anything I may have to offer.

From your comments though, Gary, you do not seem to have a lot of experience with an LMS, commercial or otherwise. Some products do some things well, and others things not. Some products are rubbish and go nowhere. Yet other products are rubbish and sell incredibly well. (Marc might quote the Grateful Dead, but I am a 60's kind of guy, try The Hollies, "Look through any window, yeah, what do you see?") No product I have ever used has ever been "perfect" and if you think Moodle is poor, I look forward to your review of a comercial package. Moodle has many good features and the evolution of Moodle over the next couple of years will, I believe, bring about beneficial changes to all those areas you mention. You can be a part of that or not, suit yourself.