How to restore course file size greater than 80 MB

How to restore course file size greater than 80 MB

by Monico Briseño -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Testers

Hi, there. I have a 80 MB course file. I wan to restore in my moodle 1.9.X. However, I can't  do it, because it has file size limitation: 20MB.

Can anybody help me to solve this.

TIA

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Monico Briseño

Re: How to restore course file size greater than 80 MB

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Does your whole Moodle have a limit of 20MB (as opposed to just the one course)? (which  you can check in site admin>server>site policies)

If so, then you need to upload the course via ftp. There should be a dedicated backup directory inside directory 1 in the moodledata folder and if you ftp this big course into there, you can then choose to restore it to a new course.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by ben reynolds -

If Directory 1 is the front page files, be really careful to restore it to a NEW COURSE, or you'll overwrite your front page.

Been there, done that.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Valentin Georgiev -

Hi there,

I'm using moodle 2.0.2 and I don't find 1 or whatever number directory inside moodledata.

I can only find backup dir into  moodledata>temp, but putting the large backup file there does not help.

BTW I did manage to upload the file via the Dropbox repository (works like charm), but then the restore failed with this message:

error/tmp_backup_directory_not_found

The backup file comes from another Moodle 2.0.2 site

Thanks in advance!

In reply to Valentin Georgiev

by Melinda Kraft -

Valentin, did you find a solution to this. I am getting the same error, but am restore a very big 1.9 course into Moodle 2.1.

by Melinda Kraft -

Valentin, did you find a solution to this. I am getting the same error, but am restore a very big 1.9 course into Moodle 2.1.

by Monico Briseño -
Picture of Testers

Hi, there. I appreciate your suggestions to solve this. I followed Mary's comment, thanks. So far, I can upload a backup file greater than 80 Mb. Great, but When I clicked to restore this file the procedure failed, ups! I have to figure out what haappened. Cheers

by Valentin Georgiev -

Hi Monico,

Did you succeed to restore?
If not, what kind of error message you get?

by Monico Briseño -
Picture of Testers

Hi, Valentin. Appeeared a blank page in restore procedure. I verified the path of the zip file, I typed the correct one and it worked properly.

Cheers

Monico

by Gunnar Johannesmeyer -

There could be at least three problems, restoring big files in moodle 2.x:

1) Uploadind a big file

2) Script timeout (the webserver kills a process e.g. after 30 seconds

3) Database limitations

Possible solutions:

for 1) uploading the file with ftp and choose it from the server directory

for 2) Change the php.ini file or put an .htaccess file in your directory (search google for that)

for 3) Edit the my.ini in the mysql/bin directory and change the
max_allowed_packet = 1M to e.g. max_allowed_packet = 100M. if there ist a blank screen while restoring, problem 3) is mostly the reason. To Test: Switch debuggin on (in moodle) and if the displaying error is like "can't read/write to database" thats the reason why.

Gunnar

In reply to Gunnar Johannesmeyer

by Melinda Kraft -

As it turns out, the backup file is corrput and missing it's modle.xml file. We discovered this just now by attempting to restore into a 1.9 installation. Moodle 1.9 informed us of the problem right away.

I've already submitted a bug tracker, so now that I know what caused the problem, I will update the tracker because Moodle 2/2.1 should give better error messages than the one we got.

I am just grateful that the 1.2 gbs of files were recoverable, with the exception of one (which was probably the problem child when the archive was made). There's no structure or sql, but the data is intact. ;o)