Correcting an error in a quiz "after the fact" - is there an easy way?

Correcting an error in a quiz "after the fact" - is there an easy way?

by Colin HARRISON -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

I'm a teacher using Moodle 1.9. I have just executed an online quiz, and have 97 student attempts. The quiz was set to randomly select 20 questions from a set of 150 (which means that in the overview of results, the vertical columns correspond to question "slots" but not to actual questions, as each student got a different set).

Now of course in reveiwing a couple of answers, I noticed a mistake in one of my questions (after the horse had bolted... isn't it always the way) which has stolen a point from any student who attempted it and who got it right...  I know I can manually regrade a question, but my problem is this: given the random selection of quetions, I have no idea which students have attempted this erroneous question, nor in which slot. is there any way that I can rapidly identify all the students affected, without having to manually scan each answer for each student (which could potentially mean opening 1,194 popups !!)

(Please don't tell me I should have been more careful in editing my questions... I don't need to hear that.wink)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Colin

In reply to Colin HARRISON

Re: Correcting an error in a quiz "after the fact" - is there an easy way?

by Colin HARRISON -

No, OK, not that many popups, 'cos I only have to check the incorrect responses...  but still... wide eyes

Colin

In reply to Colin HARRISON

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You can fix this, if you are careful, like this:

1. You can edit the faulty questions in the question bank, to change the scoring rules. For example, change which answers in a multiple-choice are considered correct.

2. Then regrade the quiz but going to the results page, and then clicking on the 'Regrade' sub-tab.

that should fix the scores.

At stage 1. you have to be very careful. You can change the details of question, like fix a typo in the question text, or change the score of one particular multiple-choice option.

However, you MUST NOT change the structure of the question. For example, if you delete one of the choices in a multiple choice, or add a new choice, then things will go horribly wrong.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Colin HARRISON -

Aha! Right, so that's what "regrade" is for! I had not read the docs on that option. Thankyou for this. I was thinking in terms of some kind of filtered search to isolate the affected scores, rather than simply regrading the whole lot!

Many thanks for your rapid & helpful reply.

Colin