Securing the login block over HTTPS

Securing the login block over HTTPS

by Steve Ireland -
Number of replies: 5

We have integrated userid & password logins with LDAP. To prevent sniffing of passwords we have implemented the Login HTTPS feature which is working.

However, the front/home page carries a Login Block.

Am I right in saying that a login block sitting on the home page cannot be secured to pass authentication over HTTPS? (As such I have hidden it for the moment and plan on remving it).

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Ireland

Re: Securing the login block over HTTPS

by Mich P -

Hi Steve

Yes, we have the same question.

Is it not possible to use the Login Block at all with "Use HTTPS for logins"?

thanks

mich

by Andreas Grabs -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi Steve,

the login-block respects the setting "Use HTTPS for logins".
It is just embeded in a non secure page but the action-property of the form points to the https-address.
Therefore all logins are encrypted.

Best regards
Andreas
In reply to Andreas Grabs

by Steve Ireland -
Many thanks. I will re-enable it so. S.

by Mich P -

Thanks, we have tried it with Moodle 1.9.10, but clicking the login block button with "Use HTTPS for logins" directs the user to the login index page.

We've tested with 'remembered' username and password so it is not a typing problem.

The SSL certificate domain is the same as the front page domain, and login does work successfully on the login index page.

What else could be happening? A corrupted cookie?

by Colin Matheson -

This is an old thread, but I just wanted to add that I had to remove and then re-add the login block after enabling https login for the block to point to the secure url.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)