Edit language names in language dropdown

Edit language names in language dropdown

by Carlos Suarez -
Number of replies: 7

Hi,

Is it possible to edit the names of the languages in the dropdown menu?
I would simplify for example the name "Español - España (es_es)" to "Español"

Thanks in advance.

Carlos

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Carlos Suarez

Re: Edit language names in language dropdown

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Carlos. Yes, this is possible. You need to modify the string 'thislanguage' in the component langconfig.php. Please see the language customization tool in Site admin > Language section.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

By the way I've always wondered what is the difference between Español España and Español Internacional. As far as I can see this distinction is proper to Moodle and used for no other language than Spanish.thoughtful

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I don't know. How much research did you do? Have a look at the table at the bottom of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_dialects_and_varieties. I found that on a quick google.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Tim, there is no mention of "internacional" Spanish on that Wikipedia page. What sounds really strange to me (as a linguist) is the notion that there can exist an "international" version of any language. There are only national (or regional) varieties.

Joseph

by Joseph Rézeau -

When I compare Moodle's Español España and Español Internacional lang files I see very few differences. We are waiting for a Spanish speaker to contribute to this discussion.

Joseph

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If I'm not mistaken, this is about two different issues (that have little to do with actual linguistic considerations):

• Back in the beginning of Moodle there was a single Spanish language pack, maninly built and maintained by Spaniards, using Castillian Spanish most of the time. But as the Spanish speaking community grew, people from other countries (mainly from Latin America) started contributing to the language pack. And there are some terms that are used differently between some of those countries and Spain. So the consensus was to split the language pack into several ones. The international pack would contain the common, shared definitions among all "dialects" and each country/regional pack could redefine everthying they wanted from the common pack. Over time, the Castillian Spanish pack has adopted the international as the master definition, so it's shrinked to the point where only a few things are actually redefined.
  • There are a few things (mainly related to localization like date and time, currency, etc.) that are a bit different among Spanish speaking countries. Those kind of things (can) go into the country/regional pack.

That's why the 'Español España' language pack is so small

Saludos. Iñaki.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)